England squad: Tuchel confirms plethora of controversial picks in 26-man squad for World Cup | OneFootball

England squad: Tuchel confirms plethora of controversial picks in 26-man squad for World Cup | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Football365

Football365

·22. Mai 2026

England squad: Tuchel confirms plethora of controversial picks in 26-man squad for World Cup

Artikelbild:England squad: Tuchel confirms plethora of controversial picks in 26-man squad for World Cup

Thomas Tuchel has officially unveiled his England squad for the 2026 World Cup with Djed Spence’s selection over Trent Alexander-Arnold one of many controversial calls.

The Three Lions kick off their World Cup campaign on June 17 as they face fellow European side Croatia in their first Group L match.


OneFootball Videos


England head coach Tuchel had managed to keep a lid on the identities of most of his squad up until Thursday afternoon, before a mass wave of leaks came via multiple journalists.

First was the news that Manchester United centre-back Harry Maguire, whose mum was fuming, had been left out of the squad for the tournament in the USA, Mexico and Canada.

Then came the controversial news that attacking midfielders Cole Palmer, Phil Foden and Morgan Gibbs-White had been left out, although at least one was expected to be left behind.

Ivan Toney has been taken as an extra striker, despite playing the season in the Saudi Pro League, while it was announced that in-form Newcastle United defender Lewis Hall had been left out.

As confirmed by TEAMtalk earlier on Friday, Tuchel has also chosen to select Tottenham right-back Djed Spence, who could be relegated from the Premier League this season, over Real Madrid right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold.

The official England squad for the 2026 World Cup in full:

Goalkeepers

Jordan Pickford (Everton)

Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace)

James Trafford (Manchester City)

Defenders

Reece James (Chelsea)

Dan Burn (Newcastle United)

Marc Guehi (Manchester City)

Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa)

Tino Livramento (Newcastle United)

Nico O’Reilly (Manchester City)

Jarell Quansah (Bayer Leverkusen)

John Stones (Manchester City)

Djed Spence (Tottenham)

Midfielders

Elliot Anderson (Nottingham Forest)

Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

Jordan Henderson (Brentford)

Declan Rice (Arsenal)

Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United)

Eberechi Eze (Arsenal)

Forwards

Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United)

Noni Madueke (Arsenal)

Morgan Rogers (Aston Villa)

Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)

Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)

Harry Kane (Bayern Munich)

Ivan Toney (Al-Ahli)

Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

Former England defender Stuart Pearce was “astounded” at the decision to include Toney in the World Cup squad despite spending the last two years in Saudi Arabia.

Pearce said on talkSPORT: “I’m astounded.”

He added: “We have never, in the history of English football, talked about so much talent that we think won’t be going to the World Cup.

“That, for me, is the flip side of the coin. It’s the real positive.

“To say that we’re going to be good enough with 26 players, and outside that you could probably name a team that would finish in the top six in the Premier League.”

Maguire gave his reaction on Thursday at the news he has been left out, he said: “I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had.

“I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision. I wish the players all the best.”

Impressum des Publishers ansehen