City Xtra
·21. Mai 2026
John Stones opens up on future amid Bayern Munich transfer interest

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsCity Xtra
·21. Mai 2026

John Stones has admitted he has no idea where he will be playing his football next season as he prepares to leave Manchester City in June.
The 31-year-old is out of contract at the Etihad Stadium in June and confirmed his departure last month in an emotional farewell video that prompted an outpouring of affection from supporters.
Bayern Munich, Juventus, AC Milan and Everton have all been credited with interest in the England international, though Stones himself has been deliberately keeping his options at arm’s length while City’s season remained alive.
John Stones confirms Manchester City departure in emotional farewell video
Speaking to The National’s Chris Bailey in one of his final interviews as a Manchester City player, Stones was candid about his mindset heading into a summer that will define the next chapter of his career.
Stones was refreshingly honest about the deliberate distance he has maintained from transfer conversations.
“I have no idea where I will be next season,” the six-time Premier League champion said ahead of Sunday’s league finale against Aston Villa.
“I told my agent not to tell me anything because I want to focus on the end of the season and hopefully the (FIFA) World Cup. I still feel I have so much to give a club and I feel in a good moment physically.
“There is a lot for me still to fight for in my career and a new challenge will be exciting. I’m keeping an open mind. I can take what I have learnt here and maybe pass it on.
“Hopefully I can be an asset on and off the pitch for a new club, but that’s for later. I don’t want to think about it until later in the summer. I don’t want the distraction; I need to be fully focused.”
The specific mention of the FIFA World Cup is notable. Stones is clearly prioritising his place in Thomas Tuchel‘s England squad this summer above any transfer deliberations, with the tournament representing one of the final major prizes still within his reach as an international player.
Manchester City to open pub to celebrate departing duo Bernardo Silva and John Stones
Stones also reflected on the poignancy of departing alongside Bernardo Silva, a player who arrived at City just twelve months after him and with whom he has shared every trophy across nearly a decade.
“I suppose Bernardo and me going at the same time is the end of an era,” the defender added. “It’s nice to leave with Bernardo; we’ve done this journey together and it’s fitting we can say goodbye together. It also helps keep me out of the limelight.”
The dry humour in that final line is pure Stones, stepping aside to let Silva take the headlines even in departure. The pair leave behind a combined trophy haul that encompasses six Premier League titles, the UEFA Champions League, multiple Carabao Cups and most recently, the FA Cup won at Wembley last week.
Characteristically, Stones used part of his final interview to shine a light on the players who will carry the club forward rather than dwelling on his own legacy.
“The central defenders I’m leaving behind, like all the squad, are superstars. They all have their own superpowers,” he said.
“Khusa (Abdukodir Khusanov), for instance, came to England without much of the language, young boy, tricky debut and has been so good since. He’s grown and flourished. His speed and awareness across the back four is incredible. I look forward to seeing that continued growth.”
From the Barnsley Beckenbauer to hybrid hero of Istanbul, John Stones will live in the memory of Manchester City fans forever
The tribute to Khusanov is a generous and perceptive one from a player who knows better than most what it takes to establish yourself as a centre-back at the highest level.
For Stones, the legacy he leaves at the Etihad Stadium extends well beyond the trophies. It is measured in the players who watched him and became better for it.







































