Gazeta Esportiva.com
·22 February 2026
Abel on new racism claim against Vini: "Lowest for human values"

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsGazeta Esportiva.com
·22 February 2026

Abel Ferreira, from Palmeiras, was another coach to speak out about the new racism accusation made by forward Vinicius Júnior from Real Madrid. The Portuguese commented on the case last Saturday, after the thrashing of Capivariano that qualified the green-and-white team for the semifinals of the Campeonato Paulista.
The incident occurred last Wednesday. After scoring the winning goal for Real Madrid against Benfica in the Champions League, Vini accused the Argentine Gianluca Prestianni from the Portuguese team of calling him a “monkey.” The match was halted for about ten minutes due to UEFA's anti-racism protocol.
Asked about the topic in a press conference, Abel shared his opinion and made a lengthy statement. He said that society is experiencing the “worst phase of human values.”
“Last year we had to talk about situations that happened with one of our players. I don’t like to make judgments because I’m not a judge. I stand for values, justice, education. Unfortunately, we are living in a crisis of societal values. Society is us. It’s not a football problem; it’s a problem of our society. We need to have empathy for one another,” said Abel.
“Last year, very serious things happened. What actions did we take? In my opinion, we are in the worst phase of human values. Unfortunately, this won’t help at all. I don’t judge cases, but we as a society are moving rapidly towards something unbelievable. Regarding this case, I don’t have much information. We as a society are far from what we should be doing,” he added.
See also: All the news from Gazeta Esportiva Gazeta Esportiva's YouTube Channel Follow Gazeta Esportiva on Instagram
The new racism accusation by Vinicius Jr. sparked worldwide commotion. The forward from the Brazilian National Team received support from fellow professionals and the CBF, which requested strict action from UEFA and FIFA.
The alleged prejudice against the Brazilian also prompted a series of statements on the subject. Besides Abel, other football coaches spoke out, such as Kompany from Bayern Munich, Pep Guardiola from Manchester City, Liam Rosenior from Chelsea, and Filipe Luís from Flamengo.
This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.
Live









































