After Veerman transfer: two BVB stars on shaky ground | OneFootball

After Veerman transfer: two BVB stars on shaky ground | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: BVBWLD.de

BVBWLD.de

·20 August 2026

After Veerman transfer: two BVB stars on shaky ground

Article image:After Veerman transfer: two BVB stars on shaky ground

Following the signing of Joey Veerman, competition in BVB’s midfield is intensifying. Two prominent Dortmund players are now under particular pressure as a result.

With the signing of Joey Veerman, Borussia Dortmund have significantly increased competition in central midfield. The Dutchman arrives from PSV Eindhoven and is clearly not intended to serve merely as a backup at BVB. The transfer could have consequences especially for Jobe Bellingham and Marcel Sabitzer.


OneFootball Videos


According to information from kicker, Veerman’s arrival changes the previous hierarchy in Dortmund’s midfield. The new signing is initially expected to have the best chance of a place in the starting lineup alongside Felix Nmecha. For Bellingham, that means he could initially drop into a secondary role. The 20-year-old had become increasingly established in his first season in Dortmund after early difficulties.

In the summer of 2025, BVB paid €30.5 million for the Englishman, who arrived from AFC Sunderland. He then went on to make 32 Bundesliga appearances. Even so, Veerman appears to have the edge for now. At his unveiling, BVB managing director Lars Ricken made clear what the club expects from the transfer: “Joey is a player who will help us enormously with his abilities.”

BVB sign Veerman: What changes for Bellingham and Sabitzer

Sporting director Ole Book particularly highlighted the Dutchman’s technical strengths: “Joey is a really terrific footballer with a great deal of creativity, technique and vision.” Veerman has shown at both PSV and with the Dutch national team that he can perform consistently at a high level.

Article image:After Veerman transfer: two BVB stars on shaky ground

Photo: IMAGO

The situation could become even more difficult for Marcel Sabitzer. The 32-year-old is said to have slipped further down the internal pecking order because of the additional competition. With his contract running only until the end of the season and a reported annual salary of €8 million making him one of the top earners, even a departure this summer is conceivable. However, there is said to be no concrete offer so far.

It remains unclear when Veerman will make his first start. A place in the starting lineup against Bayern Munich in the Supercup on Saturday (22 August) still seems unlikely. But by the Bundesliga opener against HSV (29 August), Dortmund’s midfield hub could already have a new look.

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇩🇪 here.

View publisher imprint