Barca Universal
·22 August 2026
Atletico Madrid manager comments on Barcelona target Alvarez: ‘People are trying to create conflict’

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsBarca Universal
·22 August 2026

Even as the summer transfer window enters its final stretch, Julian Alvarez continues to harbour hopes of a move away from Atletico Madrid to FC Barcelona.
However, so far, the Rojiblancos have made it abundantly clear that they will not entertain any offers for the Argentine international, particularly from the Blaugrana.
Alvarez did not play in Atletico Madrid’s first game of the 2026/27 season earlier this week, having returned to training late after his World Cup commitments.
However, manager Diego Simeone confirmed that the Argentine striker will be included in the squad for tomorrow’s game against Villarreal.
“Yes, he’ll be in tomorrow’s squad and he’s better. He’s progressing at his own pace. We’ll try to manage a complicated, difficult match against a tough opponent with good players,” he said, as quoted by Mundo Deportivo.
Had Alvarez been left out of the squad against Villarreal, Atletico would have avoided a potentially difficult situation, considering that the supporters have made it clear how they feel about the striker.
The Colchoneros will not play at home again until September 16 against Osasuna, with three consecutive away matches against Sevilla, Athletic Club and Real Sociedad coming up.

Alvarez will return to the Atleti squad. (Photo by Fran Santiago/Getty Images)
That would have meant Alvarez’s return to the Metropolitano taking place after the transfer window had closed, giving him several matches away from home to calm the situation with his performances and goals.
Instead, Atletico believe having him available is important both on the sporting side and as a way of putting an end to speculation.
Simeone was emphatic about the club’s position as far as Alvarez’s future is concerned, reiterating what CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin said, claiming that pro-Barcelona media was trying to create a divide.
“Let it be clear, because at a moment when people are waiting for division and trying to create conflict and uncertainty, there is no uncertainty. Miguel Angel Gil Marin spoke clearly yesterday,” he said.

Atletico Madrid remain firm. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
Insisting that Alvarez remains a key part of his plans, Simeone added: “For me, he’s an extremely important player for achieving our sporting objectives.
“We’ll be with him and look after him from a sporting perspective. Why? Because he’s our player. As long as he’s at Atletico, I’ll look after him.”
Simeone acknowledged that he has spoken with Alvarez, but said he cannot know exactly how the striker feels because only the player knows his own state of mind.
The Atletico coach also said he has convinced the club has chosen the right path with Alvarez.
“It’s difficult to say how another person feels because I’m not that person. What I see is that he’s working in the best possible way, working with his teammates and showing respect to everyone.
“I have no doubt about the path we’ve decided to take with the club, which is to build a great team. That’s our objective.”




Live








Live


Live


Live


Live


Live



















