Evening Standard
·18 August 2026
Atletico send Julian Alvarez transfer message to Arsenal after 'Mikel Arteta makes contact'

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsEvening Standard
·18 August 2026

Argentine is desperate to leave the club this summer, with Barcelona his dream destination
Julian Alvarez has been left out of Atletico Madrid's first La Liga game of the season, but the striker remains not for sale amid interest from Barcelona and Arsenal.
The Argentine has been Barcelona's top transfer target all summer, with the player having repeatedly voiced his desire to move to the Camp Nou.
Speaking during the World Cup, Alvarez said: "The best thing for everyone is a transfer. And I want to fulfil my dream."
Arsenal have long been interested in the former Manchester City forward, with Mikel Arteta reportedly driving the club's interest, but it is Barca were Alvarez wishes to go.
Atletico have other ideas, and have repeated privately and publicly ruled out a summer exit for the striker.

Julian Alvarez
London Standard
Miguel Angel Gil, the Atleti CEO, last month insisted that Alvarez will be staying put. Speaking to reporters ahead of Wednesday's visit of Malaga, Simone said: "If the club owner has spoken so categorically, then there’s nothing more to say”.
“It’s like when you go to court, that’s it, there’s nothing more to it. We’re looking after both the person and the player, and we understand that he is not in the right condition to play in this match."
Alvarez will be left out of the spotlight on Wednesday as Atletico's league season begins.
Simeone explained: "We don’t believe Julian Alvarez is in the right condition to play or take part for tomorrow’s game.
"Hopefully, over these next four days, he’ll make further progress and we’ll be closer to where we want him to be."







































