Football Italia
·17 February 2026
Bastoni apologises for celebrating Kalulu red card in Inter 3-2 Juventus: ‘A duty’

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsFootball Italia
·17 February 2026

Alessandro Bastoni has apologised for the manner in which he celebrated Pierre Kalulu’s red card during the Derby d’Italia between Inter and Juventus, has revealed that he has received death threats as a result and has expressed his sympathies with referee Federico La Penna: ‘I thank those who just called me ‘stupid’ and left it at that’.
Bastoni found himself at the centre of controversy for his involvement in Kalulu’s sending off in the 42nd minute of the Derby d’Italia in Serie A on Saturday evening, which ended 3-2 in favour of the Nerazzurri thanks to a 90th minute winner from Piotr Zielinski.
Kalulu was sent off for two bookable offences, the latter of which was described as ‘absurd’ and ‘non-existent’ by newspapers in Italy. Bastoni was adjudged to have dived in an attempt to get his opponent sent off.

MILAN, ITALY – FEBRUARY 14: Pierre Kalulu of Juventus reacts as he walks off after being sent off by Referee Federico La Penna (not pictured) for a second yellow card offence during the Serie A match between FC Internazionale and Juventus FC at Giuseppe Meazza Stadium on February 14, 2026 in Milan, Italy. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)
To add insult to injury for Juventus, Bastoni was carrying a booking himself at the time and would have been sent off had he been shown a second yellow card for simulation.
Bastoni also came under criticism for the manner in which he celebrated Kalulu’s sending off. There have even been calls from some supporters for him to be dropped from the Italy national team squad as a result.

BARI, ITALY – AUGUST 16: Alessandro Bastoni of Inter during Pre-Season Friendly match between FC Internazionale and Olympiacos FC at Stadio San Nicola on August 16, 2025 in Bari, Italy. (Photo by Maurizio Lagana/Getty Images)
Bastoni has kept silent since the incident occured on Saturday, until Tuesday afternoon when he joined Cristian Chivu for the pre-match press conferences ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League play-off match away against Bodo/Glimt.
The Nerazzurri defender spoke to both Sky Sport Italia and the wider media at the press conference on Tuesday afternoon, apologising for the way he celebrated, but not for the way he went down.
He compared the situation to the incredibly soft penalty that Liverpool were awarded against Inter in the Champions League league phase earlier this season.
“I wanted to come here because a lot, a lot more has happened than I would have thought or imagined after Saturday. I waited a few days to review what happened,” Bastoni told Sky Sport Italia (via TMW).
“What I felt was a contact with my arm, which was emphasised when I watched it back. I’m here to take responsibility. What I regret is my subsequent behaviour. A human being has the right to make mistakes but equally the duty to recognise them. That’s why I’m here.”

MILAN, ITALY – NOVEMBER 09: Alessandro Bastoni of Internazionale acknowledges the fans following the Serie A match between FC Internazionale and SS Lazio at Giuseppe Meazza Stadium on November 09, 2025 in Milan, Italy. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)
He repeated a similar statement at the beginning of his pre-match press conference: “A human being has the right to make mistakes, but also the duty to recognise them, so I’m here for that reason. I’m sorry I reacted like that, it’s right to hold my hands up to that.
“But, my career and character shouldn’t be defined by an incident like this. I didn’t think I would create so much of an uproar, I noticed a lot of hypocrisy, I heard insiders say things that shouldn’t be said in heaven or earth. I thank those who just called me ‘stupid’ and left it at that.”
Bastoni was asked whether he thinks he should have come out and made a statement earlier than Tuesday, given the abuse that he has received to which he replied: “No, it didn’t affect me that much. We’re exposed as people. Accustomed to this type of media pile-on and the (club) President rightly explained that.
“I’m able to handle the situation, I’m more sorry for my wife and daughter who have found themselves on the receiving end of death threats. I also feel sorry for the referee, La Penna, for everyone less used to being exposed like that.”
And on his current mindset heading into the Bodo/Glimt match on Wednesday, Bastoni said: “Mentally I’m doing very well, the same thing happened in reverse when Liverpool were awarded a penalty against us. Wirtz didn’t have the same trial that I did.
“Chivu has been consistent. Now I really want to get out onto the pitch. I’m not compromised physically or mentally, so I’m ready to play.”


Live







































