Birmingham City concern raised over ex-Real Madrid man - 'desperate' claim made | OneFootball

Birmingham City concern raised over ex-Real Madrid man - 'desperate' claim made | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Football League World

Football League World

·18 August 2026

Birmingham City concern raised over ex-Real Madrid man - 'desperate' claim made

Article image:Birmingham City concern raised over ex-Real Madrid man - 'desperate' claim made

Blues are reportedly eyeing a move for Sporting Gijon's Cesar Gelabert

Birmingham City have been told why the potential signing of Sporting Gijon playmaker Cesar Gelabert would be a gamble for Chris Davies with less than two weeks remaining in the summer transfer window.


OneFootball Videos


Throughout his spell as manager, Davies has been heavily backed by American investment group, Knighthead Capital Management, when it comes to agreeing deals for several high-profile names, as well as smashing the club's prior transfer record to lure Jay Stansfield back to St. Andrew's @ Knighthead Park two summers ago.

Two major squad reshuffles were conducted last season in B9 in a bid to make Birmingham competitive in the play-off race, but that ultimately proved unsuccessful as the club finished 10th, nine points outside the top-six.

However, with the Championship play-offs undergoing a restructure for this season, it has opened the door for sides like Blues to have a shot at promotion, which could end a Premier League exile which has stood since May 2011.

That said, it has been a mixed transfer window so far, with six additions coming to the West Midlands prior to the opening game of the season - a goalless draw with Sheffield United on Saturday afternoon.

Article image:Birmingham City concern raised over ex-Real Madrid man - 'desperate' claim made

Action Images

Reports linking the aforementioned Gelabert, 25, with a move to the Midlands outfit surfaced on Sunday, as per Spanish outlet, MARCA.

It has been claimed that Blues are amongst a glut of clubs interested in weighing up a move for the playmaker's services, after he scored eight times and produced a further four assists in 41 La Liga 2 matches last term, despite his club side finishing 10th.

The former Real Madrid academy graduate and Spanish youth international has also attracted interest from Columbus Crew and Minnesota United of the MLS, as well as several La Liga sides.

However, whilst his performance in 2025/26 was rather impressive, Football League World's Birmingham City fan pundit, Jason Moore, does have some reservations over this potential deal.

Birmingham City told they 'desperately' need to fix attacking midfield issue despite Cesar Gelabert reservations

Article image:Birmingham City concern raised over ex-Real Madrid man - 'desperate' claim made

Action Images

In recent times, Blues have been criticised for not adding enough players with Championship experience, or with the attributes often associated with success over the course of a 46-game season and, potentially beyond.

That said, Gelabert's greatest strengths are said to be his physicality, stamina and work-rate, which can go a long way to individual and collective success, but Moore isn't fully sold on whether Birmingham need to press forward with this deal.

"We've been crying out for a '10' all summer, and we were crying out for one in January," he told FLW.

"I've had a look at Gelabert, he looks like what we're after.

"My only concern is, how often do you really see Spanish players coming over to the Championship and settling in. It's such a physical league," Moore claimed.

"It's always an adjustment period with them, and do Blues have the time to let someone settle in when it's such an important position that we are desperately craving? Probably not.

"As tidy as he looks, I'm a bit sceptical," he stated. "But, as with every player, if he comes in I'll back him and, hopefully, he proves me wrong.

"I'm very sceptical about the signing just because he's come from Spain, and the Championship is such a physical league to play in."

Article image:Birmingham City concern raised over ex-Real Madrid man - 'desperate' claim made

Action Images

As with any signing who is an unknown quantity in the Championship, it is no surprise that some scepticism is being shown, especially given Blues' recent hit-and-miss record in the market.

However, if Gelabert was able to translate his prior form into a league renowned for physicality, which is said to be a strength of his, it could prove to be a masterstroke of a deal.

That said, it has been evident that Birmingham need further depth and quality in this area of the pitch, and with several clubs interested and his Gijon contract not expiring for nearly two years, Gelabert's current employers could feel the urge to raise his valuation with so little time left in the window, as well as knowing how close Blues were to signing Joe Gelhardt from Leeds United, before the 24-year-old returned to Hull City on a permanent basis.

View publisher imprint