Celtic defender sees major change from Kairat nightmare ahead of LASK play-off | OneFootball

Celtic defender sees major change from Kairat nightmare ahead of LASK play-off | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Celtic Shorts

Celtic Shorts

·19 August 2026

Celtic defender sees major change from Kairat nightmare ahead of LASK play-off

Article image:Celtic defender sees major change from Kairat nightmare ahead of LASK play-off

Cameron Carter-Vickers believes Celtic’s strengthened attack can help ensure there is no repeat of last season’s Champions League play-off disappointment.

The Hoops were eliminated at the same stage by Kairat Almaty last August, failing to score across two legs before losing on penalties in Kazakhstan.

There is a different mood around Martin O’Neill’s side ahead of Wednesday night’s first leg against LASK, with Celtic scoring 10 goals across their opening three victories of the season.


OneFootball Videos


Kasper Hogh already has a hat-trick to his name after the 5-1 win at Kilmarnock, while Camilo Duran opened his competitive account in Saturday’s 4-0 Premier Sports Cup victory over Dundee United.

Haissem Hassan and Mika Baur also made their debuts from the bench at Tannadice, and Carter-Vickers believes Celtic’s summer arrivals have injected fresh energy into the squad.

He said via Celtic’s official YouTube channel: “New signings do kind of give the group a bit of energy and a bit of momentum.

“Two of the players that have come so far have really hit the ground running, so that’s definitely a positive.”

He added: “I think we’ve signed good quality players. They’ve already shown what they can do and what they are capable of, so that’s helpful.”

Carter-Vickers knows Celtic will need that additional attacking quality against LASK after their lack of cutting edge proved costly at the same stage last season.

He said: “These kinds of qualifying ties are always difficult games.

“You are generally playing champions from other countries, teams that know how to win. Last year, over two legs, we struggled to score and maybe create chances.

“That was probably our downfall.”

Celtic now have another opportunity to book their place among Europe’s elite, and Carter-Vickers is determined to ensure Champions League football returns to Celtic Park.

He added: “It’s a competition that we want to be in year in, year out.”

HAVE YOUR SAY – Join the Celtic conversation in our comments section below…

Celtic Shorts is the new home for the team from The Celtic Star

NEW BOOK LAUNCH FROM CELTIC STAR BOOKS…Celtic in the Fifties in two volumes, available to pre-order now…

Celtic in the Fifties by Matt Corr, in two volumes, both published on 4th September 2026 by Celtic Star Books. Click on image to order.

Quick Tip – Add Celticshorts.com as your ‘Preferred Source’ on Google News for quick access to the Celtic content you value the most. It takes just a few seconds and you’ll notice the difference straight away! – Click HERE….Hail Hail!

Click to join Celtic Pools

View publisher imprint