Conte on Serie A title, Champions League ‘masters’ and ‘great’ McTominay | OneFootball

Conte on Serie A title, Champions League ‘masters’ and ‘great’ McTominay | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Football Italia

Football Italia

·29 August 2025

Conte on Serie A title, Champions League ‘masters’ and ‘great’ McTominay

Article image:Conte on Serie A title, Champions League ‘masters’ and ‘great’ McTominay

Antonio Conte insists that ‘seven or eight’ Serie A clubs can ‘aim for everything’ while his Napoli side will try to ‘learn’ from Champions League ‘masters.’

Conte spoke at a press conference on Friday on the eve of a Serie A game against Cagliari.


OneFootball Videos


The first question, however, was about Thursday’s Champions League draw that saw the Partenopei meet Chelsea and Manchester City, among others.

“We are delighted to participate in this competition,” Conte said via TMW.

“It is the top competition a club can play in. From our side, there is enthusiasm and a desire to play, and we do it with a lot of humility, trying to learn from the masters of this tournament and those who have already won it, just like good students. Perhaps one day we will surpass our teachers. Right now, however, we are focused on the league because the next match is the most important one, against Cagliari, so our minds and focus are entirely on Cagliari.”

The Sardinians were the latest club Napoli met at home last season, when a 2-0 win in Round 38 gave the Partenopei their second Scudetto in three years.

“We won the Scudetto with authority, enduring pressure as well. What I expect is focus and intensity, like in that match,” said Conte.

Conte: We won’t beat Cagliari just because we are Napoli

Article image:Conte on Serie A title, Champions League ‘masters’ and ‘great’ McTominay

SASSUOLO, ITALY – AUGUST 23: Antonio Conte, Head Coach of Napoli, shouts instructions during the Serie A match between US Sassuolo Calcio and SSC Napoli at Mapei Stadium Citta del Tricolore on August 23, 2025 in Sassuolo, Italy. (Photo by Alessandro Sabattini/Getty Images)

“We were a team that stepped onto the pitch knowing exactly what we wanted to do. It will be another game tomorrow, the second one, and Cagliari will want to confirm the good things they did against Fiorentina.

“So, if we think we’re Napoli and we’ll win just because we have the Scudetto on our shirts, we’ll make a big mistake. If we match the intensity that they will bring, then we’ll deliver an excellent performance.

“As I said before the start of the season, it will be a very difficult league, as always. There will be a great balance. I see seven or eight well-equipped clubs, and there will be a real battle,” Conte continued.

“I say this very honestly, it’s going to be tough. There are seven, eight sides that are strong enough to aim for everything.”

Napoli secured a 2-0 win over Sassuolo in their season opener last week with goals courtesy of Kevin De Bruyne and Scott McTominay.

Conte: ‘McTominay picked up right where he left off’

Article image:Conte on Serie A title, Champions League ‘masters’ and ‘great’ McTominay

SASSUOLO, ITALY – AUGUST 23: Scott McTominay of Napoli celebrates scoring his team’s first goal during the Serie A match between US Sassuolo Calcio and SSC Napoli at Mapei Stadium Citta del Tricolore on August 23, 2025 in Sassuolo, Italy. (Photo by Alessandro Sabattini/Getty Images)

“Scott has picked up right where he left off with a great performance and a goal,” said Conte.

“Then an excellent debut for Kevin [De Bruyne]. The team did well, but we must continue on this path and keep improving, because we know that only in this way does success come.”

Alex Meret started in goal against Sassuolo, but it is still unclear whether Conte will pick new signing Vanja Milinkovic-Savic against the Rossoblu tomorrow.

“I’ve already told you. With the goalkeeper, you’ll always have to wait for the line-up,” Conte said, smiling.

“They already know perfectly who’s going to play. For me, it’s a non-issue. It was an issue last year, but this year we are better structured in terms of goalkeepers, and we are happy.”

Lastly, the Italian tactician confirmed that Miguel Gutierrez would not be available and could possibly return after the international break.

View publisher imprint