OffsAIde
·21 February 2026
Danilo posts strong anti-racism message as Filipe Luís clarifies stance

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsOffsAIde
·21 February 2026

Flamengo defender Danilo has shared a strong anti-racism message, resurfacing a 2023 interview as the issue dominated coverage after Vini Jr was abused in Europe. According to Coluna Do Fla, this came in a week that also featured Flamengo’s defeat to Argentine side Lanús.
In the video, Danilo draws a distinction between hearing and listening, urging white people to listen with empathy, support those affected first, then learn without judgement. He also references Mario Sergio Cortella, arguing that prejudice stems from a lack of critical thinking and that racist acts deny people the chance to learn.
Some supporters viewed Danilo’s post as a veiled message to coach Filipe Luís, whose remarks around the Lanús match stirred debate over the incident involving Vini Jr on Tuesday 17 in the Champions League. Before the game, Filipe Luís called the matter delicate, criticised Prestianni for covering his mouth, said it had become one person’s word against another, added that if a slur was used it should be punished, and stressed he could not judge.
After the match, he said he has always been well treated in Argentina, is very happy there, and that an isolated case does not change his view of the country.
Amid heavy criticism for supposedly failing to support Vini Jr, Filipe Luís issued a statement via Flamengo. He said he answered an Argentine reporter’s question after the game and did not intend to minimise racism, which he called a crime in Brazil that should be punished firmly everywhere. He added football must not tolerate discrimination, noted he had earlier labelled the mouth-covering act cowardly, said he would never doubt a victim’s word, and reiterated full support to Vinícius Júnior.
Source: Coluna Do Fla









































