Fagner reveals inside story of Corinthians exit, says he was told by phone | OneFootball

Fagner reveals inside story of Corinthians exit, says he was told by phone | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Central do Timão

Central do Timão

·17 August 2026

Fagner reveals inside story of Corinthians exit, says he was told by phone

Article image:Fagner reveals inside story of Corinthians exit, says he was told by phone
  1. By Mirella Ramos / Central do Timão Editorial Team

Corinthians’ defeat to Cruzeiro on the night of last Sunday (16) was also marked by Fagner’s return to Neo Química Arena. After the match, the right-back spoke about the way he left the black-and-white club and revealed details about his departure from Parque São Jorge that had not been made public until now.

On the field, Timão was beaten 2-1 by Cruzeiro in the 23rd round of the Brazilian Championship. Gustavo Henrique scored Corinthians’ only goal. With the result, the team dropped to ninth place with 32 points, totaling eight wins, eight draws, and seven defeats. They have scored 25 goals and conceded 22 in the competition.


OneFootball Videos


Article image:Fagner reveals inside story of Corinthians exit, says he was told by phone

Photo: Gustavo Aleixo/Cruzeiro

In the mixed zone at Neo Química Arena, Fagner was asked whether the board had failed to do something that could have kept him at Corinthians. In his response, the player said he wished there had been more transparency about the episode and challenged the version that it had been his wish to leave the club. According to the full-back, the previous management informed him by phone that he would no longer be part of the squad.

“Honestly, to tell the truth, I just think they could have been much more transparent about the way my departure was handled, right? Because they made it seem as if I had asked to leave, because by then I had gone to the bench. But I was asked to leave here over the phone, so I think it was kind of unpleasant. I think a lot of Corinthians fans don’t know that, right? That I was asked to leave over the phone because I would no longer be part of the team.

And at no point did I speak badly about anyone, I never said anything, I kept this to myself until today, and I think the fans deserve to know this, because it never came from me, it came from the previous board, directors, anyway. But we’re putting an end to that, though I think it was important for the fans to know. That’s what is worth highlighting: I never asked to leave, but today I have to thank Cruzeiro immensely from the bottom of my heart, because it was a club that opened its doors to me, welcomed me at the moment I needed it most, and I am very grateful and will always be grateful to Cruzeiro.”

Fagner reaffirms his affection for Corinthians and sends a message to the fans

The full-back also used the interview to speak directly about his relationship with Corinthians supporters. Fagner said he had kept silent about the circumstances of his departure for more than a year and said he had received criticism and insults from part of the fanbase over the supposed decision to leave the club.

While explaining the episode, the player mentioned a specific date. According to Fagner, on December 18 he received a call informing him that he should not report back to Corinthians because he was no longer in the squad plans.

“No, the message is that the affection remains, the respect, right? I never disrespected Corinthians at any moment, I never left here and spoke badly about Corinthians or the fans or anyone else, I kept this to myself for more than a year and a half. When everyone said that I asked to leave, that I did this, that I did that, I stayed silent. So I think today was a day when everyone needed to know, because not most of the fans, but some people called me Judas, a traitor, a bum, and so on. But I think the fans have the right to know the truth: that on December 18, just to be very specific, I received the call and they asked me not to report back, that I was no longer part of the squad.”

The statement publicly presents Fagner’s version of the process that led to his departure from Corinthians. The player stressed that he did not ask to leave the club and, despite the way he says he received the decision, emphasized that he still has affection and respect for Timão and its fans.

After closing the subject of his former club, the full-back also made a point of thanking Cruzeiro for the opportunity. According to him, the Minas Gerais side welcomed him at an important moment in his career, which is why he remains grateful to the club.

For Corinthians, attention now turns to the Copa Libertadores. Next Thursday (20), at 9:30 p.m. Brasília time, Timão host Rosario Central at Neo Química Arena in the second leg of the round of 16. After a 0-0 draw in Argentina, the black-and-white team need a win to advance to the quarterfinals.

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.

View publisher imprint