Hugo Souza on Copa call-up, denies Corinthians exit, hits back after loss | OneFootball

Hugo Souza on Copa call-up, denies Corinthians exit, hits back after loss | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Central do Timão

Central do Timão

·18 May 2026

Hugo Souza on Copa call-up, denies Corinthians exit, hits back after loss

Article image:Hugo Souza on Copa call-up, denies Corinthians exit, hits back after loss
  1. By Mirella Ramos / Central do Timão Editorial Team

After Corinthians’ 3-1 defeat to Botafogo at Nilton Santos Stadium, goalkeeper Hugo Souza spoke in the mixed zone and commented on the criticism over the goals conceded, the expectation surrounding the Brazil national team call-up for the World Cup, and speculation about a possible departure from the club.

The official Brazil squad list will be announced this Monday (18) at 4:30 p.m. (Brasília time), and the number 1 admitted he is anxious about the possibility of playing in his first World Cup.


OneFootball Videos


Article image:Hugo Souza on Copa call-up, denies Corinthians exit, hits back after loss

Photos: Rodrigo Coca/Agência Corinthians

When analyzing the goals conceded against Botafogo, Hugo pushed back against the criticism and explained the plays.

“Are they calling it a mistake? That’s normal. Every goal I concede turns into that. Man, the first play was a challenge that we normally know Gustavo wins, those high balls there. The player just went into his body and ended up winning the duel. I have to stay high for the cover. It ended up being a quick play, Arthur managed to clear it off the line. I couldn’t see the ball when André was in front of me. I think it was a very quick play. I was still repositioning, and Arthur did well to clear it,” he said.  

Regarding the second goal conceded, the goalkeeper described the shot as unstoppable.

“On the second goal, I think everyone saw the shot he hit. From distance, the curve the ball took, where it went in. I think it was unstoppable. Maybe I was still kind of repositioning. If I had been set in goal, maybe I still wouldn’t have reached it because it was a really great shot by him. I think on the third goal there was nothing I could do. It was a one-on-one play, and the ball fell there,” he commented.  

Even amid the criticism, Hugo stressed that he remains focused on improving and helping Corinthians through the rest of the season.

“I’m here to improve, dedicate myself, put in the best work I possibly can. And it’s normal for criticism to come. Every goal I concede brings that, but that’s fine. What we’re doing is improving so we can get back to having important results in the league, which is a competition we know we need to start winning in again as soon as possible,” he said.  

Asked about rumors of a possible departure from Corinthians, the goalkeeper denied any agreement to leave the club and assured that his focus remains on Timão.

“My desire is to give my all here at Corinthians. I have a contract, I have nothing [agreed]. I’ve never come to an interview and said I want to leave. I’ve never come out and said anything against anyone. And this question is actually important because a lot of things circulated this week involving my name. A lot of people are insulting me, saying things, expressing what they want,” he said.  

The number 1 also explained that he sees interest from other clubs as natural given the form he has shown at Corinthians.

“My desire is always to give my all for the club. I’ll say it again, I’ve never come here to say I’m leaving, to say there’s something going on, or to say there isn’t. It’s normal for offers to come in. I’m a player who, thank God, has been at Corinthians for two years, and for two years I’ve been playing at a high level. It’s been two years competing, a year and a half in the Brazil national team picture, a year of call-ups. It’s normal that that draws the attention of other clubs,” he said.  

Hugo also denied any agreement involving a transfer.

“There is no agreement. There is no agreement. In fact, any kind of conversation about a transfer or not, that’s not something I handle. My agents, my staff do that. I’m a player, an athlete, I’m here for the club. I’m going to do my best for the club. So from my side, there’s no agreement at all,” he stressed.  

Regarding the expectation for the Brazil national team call-up, the goalkeeper revealed that he is experiencing days of anxiety and hope over the chance to play in the World Cup.

“Expectations are high. I’ve been part of the last five call-ups. Of course I’m anxious. I’m hopeful. And tomorrow, God willing, I’ll be with my family. I’ll be watching,” he said.  

The goalkeeper also pointed out that he believes his performance against Botafogo does not affect a possible call-up.

“I believe it’s not one game that changes whether I’m in or not. I don’t think I had a bad game today, but I also didn’t have a great game where I managed to save the team. On the balls that went on target, even though in my head it was a shot that maybe there was no stopping. On the first one maybe I could have done something. On the second, no chance. On the third, no chance either. But I don’t think it’s one game that changes things. I think the list is already ready. And God willing, whatever happens,” he said. 

The goalkeeper also spoke about the physical toll caused by the synthetic pitch at Nilton Santos Stadium and revealed back pain after the match.

“On artificial turf, we have to adapt. I’ve already given my opinion on some things. About artificial turf, the difference it makes to the athlete’s body. The pain we feel. Everything we feel. In fact, my back is hurting now because of it. But it’s part of it, we have to adapt. Give our best regardless of the pitch,” he said.  

Finally, Hugo revealed a conversation with Fernando Diniz ahead of the Brazil national team call-up.

“The only thing he told me was that he hugged me and said: ‘Tomorrow I’ll be rooting for you, God willing everything will work out.’ I think that’s my feeling, my family’s, everyone around me, and the Corinthians fans who are rooting for me. So to the fans who are rooting for me, I ask that you send me good energy. Because there are a lot of Corinthians fans, so that’s a lot of good energy. I hope everything works out so I can fulfill this dream, which isn’t just mine, it belongs to a lot of people,” he concluded.  

Now, the team led by Fernando Diniz turns its attention to the Copa Libertadores. Their next match will be against Peñarol on Thursday (22) at 9:30 p.m. (Brasília time), at Estadio Campeón del Siglo in Uruguay, in the fifth round of the continental tournament’s group stage.

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.

View publisher imprint