OffsAIde
·22 August 2026
Julián Álvarez to make Atlético squad for Villarreal as Simeone seeks to calm row

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsOffsAIde
·22 August 2026

Diego Simeone moved to calm the Julián Álvarez situation, saying the forward will be included in Atlético de Madrid’s squad to face Villarreal at home on Sunday at 17:00.
According to El Periódico Mediterráneo, the head coach left Álvarez out of the 2-0 league opener against Málaga, then later had a lapse when asked about abuse from a section of the Metropolitano after the match.
In his pre-match press conference he clarified that he respects supporters but does not endorse insults or slurs, and suggested some are trying to stir conflict and uncertainty.
He insisted there is no uncertainty around Álvarez, noted Miguel Ángel Gil Marín had been clear, and said Atlético will look after him while he remains their player.
Simeone added the striker is feeling better, regaining rhythm and still building fitness. He described Villarreal as a tough opponent with very good players and said the staff will manage a complex game.
He admitted concern about uneven match fitness across the squad, said availability is not yet complete, and that he is weighing physical and emotional factors shaped by each player’s holidays.
He said Álvarez has been working well and respectfully with his team-mates, stressed the focus is on the collective rather than individuals, and that Atlético demand 120 percent. He hoped the team can produce a strong display on Sunday.
Source: El Periódico Mediterráneo
“Artificial intelligence was used to assist in creating this article based on reporting from the original source quoted.”
Live


Live


Live


Live


Live


Live


Live


Live


Live


Live





















