Luis Enrique promises Bradley Barcola 'solution' as Liverpool eye PSG transfer raid | OneFootball

Luis Enrique promises Bradley Barcola 'solution' as Liverpool eye PSG transfer raid | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Evening Standard

Evening Standard

·17 August 2026

Luis Enrique promises Bradley Barcola 'solution' as Liverpool eye PSG transfer raid

Article image:Luis Enrique promises Bradley Barcola 'solution' as Liverpool eye PSG transfer raid

Reds progressing in talks to sign Ibrahim Mbaye as well as his team-mate

Luis Enrique declined to comment when asked for an update on Bradley Barcola’s pending transfer to Liverpool after he was left out of the matchday squad for the French Super Cup.


OneFootball Videos


The Parisians fell to a surprise 1-0 defeat by Lens as their 2026/27 campaign got off to a slow start, but there was more attention on off-pitch matters.

Neither Barcola nor his fellow winger Ibrahim Mbaye travelled for the match as both close in on moves away from the club, with Liverpool in talks to sign both.

The Reds are thought to be closing on agreeing a deal for Barcola, with last week’s signing of Mika Godts seemingly paving the way for the Frenchman to depart.

But, speaking after facing Lens, Enrique gave little away when asked for an update, simply saying: “I will speak about the transfer window when it is finished.”

Pressed for a further update, he left the press conference room.

Liverpool are yet to find a replacement for Mohamed Salah with the launch of the new Premier League campaign now less than a week away.

Reports suggest they are close to reaching an agreement with PSG for Barcola and have plans to lodge a new bid this week, though the French club’s £145m asking price still seems daunting.

New reporting from Fabrizio Romano claims they are also in talks over an offer for Mbaye, though PSG’s asking price may be too high for them to land a double deal.

Mbaye, the highly rated 18-year-old who is already a fully-fledged Senegal international, has also been linked with a move to Aston Villa in this window, with a host of other top clubs also said to be interested in giving him a chance to showcase his talents away from PSG.

Speaking on Saturday, Enrique delivered a more illuminating update on PSG’s transfer plans, saying he only wanted to keep players who are keen to play for PSG.

"We are a very young, very ambitious team," he said. "It is important for us to make changes and look for players who enjoy playing our way and who love playing for PSG. That is very clear to us.

"When a player doesn't want to come here, or doesn't have a smile on their face about being here, it is better to find another solution."

View publisher imprint