Renato Gaúcho doubts Paulo Henrique will return before World Cup break | OneFootball

Renato Gaúcho doubts Paulo Henrique will return before World Cup break | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: OffsAIde

OffsAIde

·18 May 2026

Renato Gaúcho doubts Paulo Henrique will return before World Cup break

Article image:Renato Gaúcho doubts Paulo Henrique will return before World Cup break

Paulo Henrique’s injury is more complicated than first thought, said Renato Gaúcho after Sunday’s defeat to Internacional at Beira-Rio.

According to Globo.com, the number 96 took a heavy knock against Paysandu last week and suffered a sprain to his right ankle. He left São Januário unaided and told reporters at the time it was not serious.


OneFootball Videos


Subsequent tests confirmed damage. He told club staff he wanted to face Internacional despite not being fully fit to keep alive a late World Cup hope, but the medical team did not consider it.

Renato said injuries restrict options and noted they were already without Paulo, Spinelli and Thiago Mendes. He refused to use absences as an excuse and stressed the team did not compete.

He added it is very difficult for Paulo Henrique to play again before the World Cup break. Vasco have Sul-Americana on Wednesday, then two Brasileiro fixtures as they aim to finish in the upper half of the table.

View publisher imprint