Absolute Chelsea
·23 August 2026
Revealed: The Two Big Factors That Could Lead Chelsea To Sell Enzo Fernandez To Man City

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsAbsolute Chelsea
·23 August 2026

For now, Chelsea are preparing for the new season with Fernandez. Video Credit: Absolute Chelsea
With just over one week remaining in the 2026 summer transfer window, uncertainty surrounding Enzo Fernandez’s future at Chelsea is beginning to intensify.
The Argentine midfielder, who joined Chelsea in January 2023 for a then-British record fee of £106.8 million, is attracting strong interest from Manchester City and his former Chelsea head coach, Enzo Maresca.
What is arguably this summer’s biggest transfer saga looks set to run right through to the final days of the window, with Fernandez’s future becoming one of the biggest clouds hanging over new Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso’s first season in charge.
Chelsea had previously set a deadline of 5pm (UK) on August 14 for potential suitors to make their move, with a £120m fee required to prise the midfielder away from Stamford Bridge. We are now way beyond that internal deadline.
With the transfer deadline fast approaching, David Ornstein has revealed two major factors that could ultimately determine whether Fernandez leaves Stamford Bridge to reunite with Maresca in Manchester.
Speaking on USA Sports, Ornstein said: “We need to keep an eye on Enzo Fernandez before the deadline because they (Man City) hold a strong interest in him.
"Chelsea would let him go if the money was right and also if they had a replacement. Those are two pretty big factors, so it’s by no means guaranteed.
"But Manchester City and Enzo Maresca’s interest in Enzo Fernandez is live, and I think that could be one of the main stories and narratives as we head towards this September 1 deadline.”
Those two factors - the finances involved and Chelsea’s ability to secure a replacement - could prove decisive in determining whether Fernandez remains in west London or makes the move to Manchester.
Despite Chelsea removing the £120m asking price that was once on the table and communicated to Fernandez’s representatives and potential suitors, any new attempt to test the club’s resolve is yet to materialise. As it stands, Fernandez remains a Chelsea player and is set to be involved on Monday as Chelsea travel to Craven Cottage to take on Fulham.
A mixed atmosphere during Fernandez’s return to action against Real Sociedad last week highlighted Chelsea's need to provide clarity as quickly as possible. Sections of the Stamford Bridge crowd booed the 25-year-old’s name during the reading of the team sheet before he was again booed when introduced at the hour mark.
The negative reception was also met with chants for the Argentine, turning it into a mixed reaction. But with speculation still surrounding his future, Chelsea need clarity.
During Thursday’s pre-match press conference for their Premier League opener against Fulham, Alonso was asked for an update on the Argentine’s future.
“Enzo is a Chelsea player," the Spaniard told reporters. "He’s a top, top player. He’s training really well since he started 10 days ago with the team, very integrated. We are happy with him and he’s getting ready for Monday.”
Alonso was also asked whether Fernandez’s future would remain in west London beyond September’s deadline, but he refused to put an end to the speculation. Chelsea’s new manager also declined to reveal who his vice-captain would be for the forthcoming season when questioned by reporters in attendance.
When it comes to finding a replacement, time is against the Blues. With just over a week remaining until the deadline, it has been reported that potential replacements such as Adam Wharton and Alex Scott are not for sale by their respective clubs.
Chelsea have already reportedly had an approach rejected by Bournemouth for Scott, and any potential replacement for Fernandez would more than likely come at a significant premium.
The ball is firmly in Man City's court. If they make a suitable offer for Chelsea to consider, a transfer could materialise. But for now, as far as Chelsea are concerned, it remains business as usual - with Fernandez part of their plans.












Live


Live


Live


Live


Live



















