Sheff United Way
·21 August 2026
Sheffield United Boss Sends Message to Fans Over Turmoil Ahead of Swansea City Clash

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsSheff United Way
·21 August 2026

Sheffield United travel to Wales on Saturday afternoon looking to claim their first victory of the 2026/27 Championship campaign when they take on Swansea City at the Swansea.com Stadium.
The Blades were forced to settle for a point on the opening weekend after being held to a goalless draw by Birmingham City at Bramall Lane, in a match that offered little in the way of entertainment.
Swansea, meanwhile, made a winning start to the new campaign despite falling behind against Stoke City. The Jacks produced a strong second-half response to turn the game around and secure a 2-1 victory on their opening away day.
Wilder will once again be without Kalvin Phillips as the Manchester City loanee continues to work on his match sharpness following his return to Bramall Lane.
There could also be a change on the right flank, with Tahith Chong potentially handed a starting berth ahead of youngster Romelle Donovan.
Ryan Oné is another player whose involvement will be monitored after the forward picked up a knock during his substitute appearance against Birmingham. Oné was able to continue despite appearing to be in obvious discomfort, but United will assess him ahead of the trip to Swansea.
The Blades’ preparations have also been overshadowed by an ongoing legal dispute involving former owner Prince Abdullah and current owners Helmy Eltoukhy and Steve Rosen. The situation has raised concerns over Sheffield United’s future, with a potential 12-point deduction hanging over the club.
However, Wilder was adamant that the situation will not distract him or his players from their responsibilities on the pitch. “As far as I’m concerned we’ve got a game tomorrow. That’s my remit. To prepare the players,” Wilder told the media.
“I can’t get dragged into anything, as you can understand. I’ve been briefed by the owners regarding the situation and the basic details. I know everybody wants more information regarding what’s going off, what’s happening.
“I’m not trying to brush over it or dodge it. But as far as I’m concerned, I am dodging it because I don’t think it’s my job. It’s my job to prepare and look after those players.”
Wilder added that he respects the club’s decision to issue a statement but has no intention of becoming involved in the matter publicly. “The club made a statement, what they thought was the right thing to do, so I respect that and move on.
The United boss instead wants his focus to remain firmly on improving his team and ensuring they are prepared for what promises to be another fiercely competitive Championship campaign.
Wilder believes the division is stronger than ever, particularly with the quality of the sides arriving from the Premier League, but insists that should not prevent Sheffield United from competing at the top end.
“I’ve got a relationship with the owners, but my biggest relationship I have is with Steve [Bettis],” Wilder said. “It’s my job to prepare the team, to talk to them about what I think we need, which I’ve always done, to push on that front, which I’ve always done to make this as competitive as we’ve ever been in arguably one of the most competitive divisions in European football.
“Especially this season with the quality of the teams that have come down and the competition. For me, it’s a tougher division than it’s ever been, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t be competitive. It doesn’t mean that we can’t win games of football.”
Wilder described United’s opening-day performance as an “okay start”, but knows there is plenty of room for improvement against Swansea. “I’m confident. It was an okay start last week, and I want to talk about the week, I want to talk about the football, I want to talk about what we can do better, what we can improve on, and talk about Swansea.
“I can’t get distracted by anything. I’m an employee of the football club. I’ve been briefed by the owners, a statement’s gone out and for me that’s enough for me and I crack on.”
United are continuing to explore the loan market as they look to strengthen a squad which still appears short in certain areas.
Harry Souttar remains a key target, with the Blades’ bid for the Leicester City defender still on the table.
Wilder also admitted that the club would like to add further reinforcements, particularly following the departure of Gustavo Hamer to Coventry City.
“The situation at present is that we’re looking in the loan market and I will continue to do that,” Wilder explained. “If that changes, then that changes and then we’ll look at a different group of players.
“There’s a bid in there for Harry Souttar. I should imagine that that’ll stay there, but at the moment I’m looking to add, as we’ve talked about, to replace Gus [Hamer], maybe one or two more to the group, which I think we need.
For now, though, Wilder’s attention is on Swansea City and potentially getting their first win of the new season.
Live







































