The Real Madrid Meltdown Explained | OneFootball

The Real Madrid Meltdown Explained | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Hooligan Soccer

Hooligan Soccer

·17 May 2026

The Real Madrid Meltdown Explained

Article image:The Real Madrid Meltdown Explained

The Real Madrid meltdown just keeps going on and on. Arch-rivals Barcelona have already emphatically clinched the La Liga title. Los Blancos suffered a premature and humiliating exit from the UEFA Champions League and Copa del Rey. The much-hyped FIFA Club World Cup earlier in the season only served to physically exhaust the squad. This means Real Madrid’s current campaign will end without a major trophy.

But the lack of silverware is merely the symptom of a much deeper disease infecting the club. The dressing room has turned into a battleground of bruised egos and, at times, physical altercations.


OneFootball Videos


The “Fourth-Choice” Bombshell: Mbappé vs. Arbeloa

When Kylian Mbappé arrived at Real Madrid, he was supposed to be the final piece of Florentino Pérez’s modern Galáctico puzzle. Instead, one can say the Real Madrid meltdown saga has started since then. The French forward’s tenure has effectively transformed into a nightmare.

The tension reached its latest episode following Thursday’s Oviedo match.

Mbappé, returning from a minor left hamstring injury, was left on the bench by boss Álvaro Arbeloa.

He was finally introduced in the 68th minute, replacing 22-year-old academy graduate Gonzalo García, who had opened the scoring. Mbappé was greeted with a hostile reception from the Bernabéu crowd, who filled the stadium with boos. He still managed to assist Jude Bellingham for the second goal in the 79th minute, but off the pitch, things were different.

That game was entirely overshadowed by his explosive post-match declarations in the mixed zone. Speaking directly to the press, a visibly frustrated Mbappé said this:

“I’m very well, one hundred percent fit, I haven’t played because the coach told me I’m the fourth striker in the squad behind Mastantuono, Vini, and Gonzalo. I accept it. I was ready to start, it was his decision.”

Arbeloa, who was thrust into the hot seat following the midseason sacking of Xabi Alonso, was ambushed by the comments. He vehemently denied the Frenchman’s version of events. “I don’t have four strikers, and I haven’t told anything like that to Mbappé,” Arbeloa countered. “He probably didn’t understand me.”

Earlier in the season, Xabi Alonso attempted to cater to Mbappé by centering the entire attacking structure around him. That move inadvertently alienated Vinícius Júnior. It had worked incredibly well and put Mbappé on track for a record-breaking, potential Ballon d’Or season before his injuries. When Arbeloa took over, that all changed. Mbappé made his thoughts clear about this in the same press conference.

“We started the season well, we had everything. Then we lost everything in the second half. It hurts a lot because we had a structure and a playing style, but we lost it all,” said the Frenchman.

Valdebebas Fight Club

The first rule of Fight Club…

The tension is not just passive-aggressive within the club. It has become physical. In the days leading up to El Clásico, a severe altercation took place behind the closed doors of the Valdebebas training complex. Midfielders Federico Valverde and Aurélien Tchouaméni engaged in a heated, physical brawl that had to be broken up by teammates and coaching staff.

Tensions began during training on May 6 with a bad tackle that led to an argument. The players had to be separated in the dressing room. The next morning, the conflict escalated when Valverde reportedly refused to shake Tchouaméni’s hand. Following another heated training session that day, a fight broke out in the dressing room. During the fight, Valverde was hit hard by Tchouaméni, striking his head against a table. He was taken to the hospital for stitches and medical evaluation, which the club diagnosed as cranioencephalic trauma, a type of concussion. Valverde missed El Clásico.

The incident was a shocking breach of discipline. The hierarchy responded by slapping both Valverde and Tchouaméni with colossal €500,000 fines.

Following the departure of veteran leaders like Luka Modrić and Toni Kroos in recent seasons, a massive leadership vacuum has emerged. Dani Carvajal cannot stay fit enough to lead the team, and the constant shuffling of the captain’s armband has left the squad directionless.

The egos have run rampant, leading to disjointed performances on the field. Even seasoned veterans like Antonio Rüdiger have reportedly been involved in screaming matches with the coaching staff, highlighting a total loss of authority by Arbeloa and his assistants, and Alonso before him.

Of course, just when it seemed like the Real Madrid meltdown had reached its peak, the President had something to say.

Florentino Pérez’s Own Version of a Real Madrid Meltdown

The shockwaves have reached the presidential suite. Florentino Pérez, the mastermind behind Real Madrid’s modern dominance, is finding his grip on the club challenged in ways he has not experienced in two decades. The trophyless campaign, and the bitter pill of watching Barcelona secure the league title back-to-back, has sent him into a crisis.

Appearing in front of journalists in a hastily convened press conference, the 79-year-old president announced that he was calling for early elections.

“At Madrid, there is no single owner; it’s the 100,000 members, and I am making this decision because an absurd situation has been created to generate a current of opinion against Real Madrid and me.”

He began to attack the media, claiming they have been spreading fake narratives against him to turn public opinion against him: “I will be running to defend the interests of Real Madrid members, not those of some journalists who think that by causing harm and creating confusion, they can intimidate me.”

In a classic display of deflection, Pérez also sought to rally the base by reigniting the eternal rivalry with Barcelona and calling out the Negreira case once again.

He declared that relations with the Catalan club were “completely broken,” and said he will be submitting a dossier to UEFA regarding the Negreira case to close this issue once and for all.

The Real Madrid Meltdown Spilled From Inside to Outside

The toxicity spilled into the stands before and during the Oviedo match. The Santiago Bernabéu turned surprisingly hostile. Pre-match warm-ups were soundly jeered, with Vinícius Júnior and Mbappé receiving the brunt of the vitriol from their own supporters. But the anger was not reserved solely for the players.

For the first time in recent memory, the presidential box was targeted. According to Goal.com and local reports, security personnel had to physically intervene to pacify furious socios who unveiled banners reading “Florentino, go now” and “Florentino, guilty.” Pérez was even seen arguing with fans right under his presidential box.

With elections looming in a fortnight and candidates gearing up to take on Florentino Pérez, the summer promises to be a chaotic one for Los Blancos. Will the Bernabéu continue to burn like it is right now, and will Pérez be able to play firefighter? Or will a new candidate raise the club from its ashes like a phoenix and usher in a new era? We can only wait and see.

View publisher imprint