Uefa issues official statement on controversy in Benfica v Real Madrid 📃 | OneFootball

Uefa issues official statement on controversy in Benfica v Real Madrid 📃 | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: OneFootball

OneFootball

·18 February 2026

Uefa issues official statement on controversy in Benfica v Real Madrid 📃

Article image:Uefa issues official statement on controversy in Benfica v Real Madrid 📃

Uefa issued a statement after Vinicius Jr accused Gianluca Prestianni, a Benfica player, of making a racist insult against him during the Champions League clash on Tuesday night (17th).

The Brazilian scored the only goal of the game in Real’s victory in the first leg of the playoffs in Lisbon, but received a yellow card shortly after due to his celebration.


OneFootball Videos


As the teams were preparing for the game to restart, Vini Jr ran to the referee and claimed he had been the target of a racist insult from Gianluca Prestianni, who had his mouth covered by his shirt.

Referee François Letexier activated the anti-racism protocol and a 10-minute stoppage followed.

Kylian Mbappé corroborated Vini’s account, stating he heard Prestianni use the word "monkey" five times.

The Argentine, in turn, denied using such language and said he was misunderstood.

UEFA then responded, confirming that the review of the match reports from Tuesday is underway.

"The official reports from the matches played last night are currently being reviewed," said UEFA. "Where issues are reported, proceedings are opened and, if they lead to the imposition of disciplinary sanctions, they are announced on the UEFA disciplinary website. We have no further information to provide you or any other comment to make on this matter at this stage."

This browser is not supported, please use a different one or install the app

video-poster

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.


📸 PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA - AFP or licensors

View publisher imprint