Vinícius racism row sparks UEFA investigation | OneFootball

Vinícius racism row sparks UEFA investigation | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Playmakerstats

Playmakerstats

·18 February 2026

Vinícius racism row sparks UEFA investigation

Article image:Vinícius racism row sparks UEFA investigation

The row involving Gianluca Prestianni and Vinícius Júnior shows no sign of fading, with the incident at the Estádio da Luz set to have further repercussions.

Tuesday night’s Champions League tie was paused for almost ten minutes after Vinícius reported alleged racist abuse, prompting the referee to activate UEFA’s anti-discrimination protocol. Since then, statements from both camps have only intensified the debate.


OneFootball Videos


Vinícius was forthright in his post-match comments.

“Racists are cowards,” he said. “They hide their mouths because they know what they’re doing is wrong. Sadly, this is not new for me or my family. I was booked for celebrating and still don’t understand why. Meanwhile, the protocol applied didn’t resolve anything.”

Prestianni later rejected the accusation outright.

“At no point did I direct racist insults at Vinícius Júnior,” he said. “He misinterpreted what he believed he heard. I have never behaved in a racist manner towards anyone. I also regret the threats I have since received.”

With UEFA now reviewing the case, questions turn to what action - if any - may follow. To shed light on the possible outcomes, we spoke to sports law experts Pedro Branco and José Manuel Rebelo.

What do UEFA’s rules say?

UEFA’s disciplinary code deals firmly with discriminatory conduct. Any player or official found guilty of offending the dignity of another person on racial or similar grounds faces a suspension of at least ten matches, or a significant time-based ban, alongside further potential penalties.

If supporters are involved, clubs can be fined and subjected to sanctions such as partial stadium closures or restrictions on ticket sales. In more serious cases, punishments can escalate to matches behind closed doors, points deductions or even expulsion from the competition.

However, as Rebelo points out, everything hinges on evidence.

“The decisive factor is proof,” he explained. “What was said, the context in which it was said, whether there was provocation - all of that will be examined. Ultimately, it will depend on what can be substantiated.”

Branco agrees, noting that the images themselves offer limited clarity.

“When a player covers his mouth, it becomes extremely difficult to determine what was actually said. If there is no solid evidence, sanctions cannot be imposed. Testimony may play a crucial role.”

He added that if the alleged behaviour is confined to an individual player, Benfica would not automatically face punishment unless separate issues involving supporters are proven.

The Referee’s gesture

When Vinícius alerted referee François Letexier, the official made the now-recognised anti-racism signal by crossing his wrists.

The gesture was formally introduced in 2024 and forms part of a three-step process: temporarily halting the game, suspending it if incidents persist, and abandoning it altogether in extreme situations.

It was approved at FIFA level as part of a broader push to strengthen football’s response to discrimination.

Could the club be liable?

Reports also suggest objects were thrown from the stands and that discriminatory behaviour may have come from sections of the crowd.

Under UEFA regulations, the home club bears responsibility for safety and order inside and around the stadium. If supporter misconduct is proven, Benfica could face disciplinary measures — unless they can demonstrate they were not negligent in their organisational duties.

For now, the matter rests with UEFA’s investigators. What follows will depend not on emotion or public reaction, but on what can be clearly established.

View publisher imprint