The Guardian
·19 de febrero de 2026
Controversial Women’s FA Cup plans on hold after pushback from clubs, players and fans

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsThe Guardian
·19 de febrero de 2026

Proposals to make radical changes to the Women’s FA Cup, including seeding the top four teams from the WSL, have been put on hold, the Guardian can reveal, after the Football Association received negative feedback about the controversial ideas.
The FA had also intended to dispense with draw ceremonies after the last 32, introducing a “road to Wembley” bracket akin to a World Cup knockout phase pathway, and review the entry tiers for lower-league sides. But it has put the brakes on its plans after concerns were raised by a significant number of clubs, fan groups and players.
The FA had hoped to put a submission to its board in April after a period of consultation in February and March, in order for changes to be ratified for next season, but it has extended the discussions to give clubs, fans and stakeholders more time to discuss the options. Next season’s FA Cup will proceed with the existing format and the earliest any revamp could be enforced would be for 2027-28.
It is understood the ideas, including seeding four sides so they could not meet before the semi-finals, have not been abandoned but there is widespread agreement that more time needs to be taken to review the options.
An FA spokesperson said: “While we will continue to review the Adobe Women’s FA Cup and the ways it can evolve, we have listened to the feedback and no changes will be implemented for the 2026-27 season.
“We understand how much the competition means to clubs, players and fans across the pyramid, and it is important that all parties have enough time to share their views. As a result, we will be extending the consultation phase to allow for further engagement informed by the questions and comments raised.”
Fans had been quick to condemn the idea of seeding teams after the Guardian revealed on 3 February that the proposals had been sent to participating clubs. A spokesperson for the Football Supporters’ Association said seeding was “something which fans feel goes against the traditions of the FA Cup”, and some clubs’ official supporter groups voiced concerns.
The supporters’ club of Manchester City Women, one of the teams who would have been seeded, said: “We feel it goes against the very ethos of what the FA Cup represents. The whole idea of being able to draw anyone, home or away, throughout the entire competition, gives it a unique magic that supporters of all clubs appreciate and embrace.”
This season’s fifth round begins on Saturday, with the lowest-ranked side left in the competition, fourth-tier Chatham Town, travelling to St Andrew’s to face second-tier Birmingham City.
Header image: [Photograph: Isabel Infantes/Reuters]









































