Diniz: Vasco’s revival began vs Bahia, not due to protests | OneFootball

Diniz: Vasco’s revival began vs Bahia, not due to protests | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Papo na Colina

Papo na Colina

·29 de noviembre de 2025

Diniz: Vasco’s revival began vs Bahia, not due to protests

Imagen del artículo:Diniz: Vasco’s revival began vs Bahia, not due to protests

After turbulent days at São Januário, Vasco turned pressure into relief. The 5-1 victory over Internacional this Friday, in the 35th round of the Brasileirão, ended a sequence of four defeats and completely eliminated any risk of relegation. With this result, the team reached 45 points and climbed to 10th place.

Despite the tense atmosphere at the beginning of the week — which included protests by members of an organized supporters group at the Moacyr Barbosa Training Center — Fernando Diniz stated that the team’s turnaround had nothing to do with the conversation between players and fans. According to the coach, the team’s behavior had already been changing since the defeat to Bahia.


OneFootball Videos


— Against Bahia, I didn’t think the game was emotionally the same as against Grêmio and Botafogo. If it hadn’t been for David’s sending off, it probably would have ended 0-0. Although we lost, the change started there. It didn’t start with the conversation at the training center. The team started to become today’s Vasco against Bahia. I told the players that things had changed. We lacked inspiration, but we started playing together again. We are nothing if we don’t play together. Everything depends on our connections — said Diniz.

Imagen del artículo:Diniz: Vasco’s revival began vs Bahia, not due to protests

Fernando Diniz in Vasco vs Internacional — Photo: Wagner Meier/Getty Images

“Legitimate” protests, according to the coach

In a press conference, the coach treated the protests as a natural part of the football environment, highlighting that the squad knew how to handle the criticism and that nothing interfered internally.

— The demonstrations are legitimate. There was nothing excessive, the players took it well. It’s about separating outside news, which had no internal impact. My focus is internal. The team has always been very united and deserves good things. Today there was a different energy with the fans — he said.

Match marked by interruption

The clash at São Januário was interrupted for about an hour and a half between the first and second halves due to heavy rain in Rio de Janeiro. The pitch became unplayable, and both Vasco and Internacional wanted the match to be rescheduled. As the weather improved, the game resumed, and the Cruz-Maltino dominated the final stage, scoring three goals after the restart.

— We managed the interval very well. In reality, we didn’t even want the game to resume. The field was unplayable. Then it started to dry and it became possible to play. We’ve played on much worse pitches than today’s — Diniz evaluated.

Imagen del artículo:Diniz: Vasco’s revival began vs Bahia, not due to protests

Rayan – Vasco vs Inter – Brasileirão – São Januário — Photo: André Durão

Next fixture

Vasco returns to the field next Tuesday at 7pm, at São Januário, to face Mirassol in a decisive clash in this final stretch of the Brasileirão.

+ Follow Papo na Colina’s social networks: ThreadBlueskyTwitterFacebookInstagramYoutubeTiktok and Google News.

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.

Ver detalles de la publicación