From 'I trust that man' to 'national disgrace': How England fans reacted to Thomas Tuchel's World Cup squad | OneFootball

From 'I trust that man' to 'national disgrace': How England fans reacted to Thomas Tuchel's World Cup squad | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Evening Standard

Evening Standard

·22 de mayo de 2026

From 'I trust that man' to 'national disgrace': How England fans reacted to Thomas Tuchel's World Cup squad

Imagen del artículo:From 'I trust that man' to 'national disgrace': How England fans reacted to Thomas Tuchel's World Cup squad

Three Lions begin their World Cup campaign on June 17

It’s fair to say that England’s World Cup squad has caused a stir among fans.


OneFootball Videos


Thomas Tuchel named his 26-strong cohort for this summer’s tournament on Friday morning, after an onslaught of leaks that began dropping on Thursday evening.

Further news ensued in the later hours, with Levi Colwill and Cole Palmer reported to be out, while Phil Foden and Trent Alexander-Arnold were also overlooked as Tuchel went bold.

Instead, Ivan Toney was selected as one of three strikers, while Dan Burn and Jordan Henderson were also surprise call-ups.

Tottenham’s Djed Spence was also included despite his broken jaw diagnosis.

Imagen del artículo:From 'I trust that man' to 'national disgrace': How England fans reacted to Thomas Tuchel's World Cup squad

Left out: Harry Maguire

PA

But how have fans taken the squad announcement, and how have they reacted to some of the major ins and outs?

One fan said that Alexander-Arnold was “so disrespected. Any other country he’d have double the caps that he currently has”, while another said: “Talent only gets you so far, right?

“Palmer, Foden, Trent are possibly England's three most technically gifted players, and they're not on the plane.”

A supporter reasoned for Toney’s inclusion, claiming: “Ivan Toney is fully deserved man, he’s been in great form But to look deeper, he has a ton of qualities that England do not have,” while another blasted Tuchel’s decision to not take another No10: “Out of all the players that Tuchel has called up that has caused a ruckus, Ivan Toney is probably the only one that I think is a good option. The idea of taking another 10 over a third striker is absurd to me.”

Rory Jennings, a prominent Chelsea supporter online, lambasted Tuchel, the former Blues boss on Thursday evening.

“When you actually think about it, it’s a disgrace that Thomas Tuchel is England manager, a national embarrassment,” he wrote on X.

Imagen del artículo:From 'I trust that man' to 'national disgrace': How England fans reacted to Thomas Tuchel's World Cup squad

Controversial pick: Jordan Henderson

PA

Mark Goldbridge, the Manchester United fan YouTuber, went in hard on Jordan Henderson’s selection.

“Jordan Henderson over [Adam] Wharton, [James] Garner, [Alex] Scott is a national disgrace as well, but no one talks about it in the media because they all love him. Fact is he was finished four years ago,” he said.

Ollie Thomas, a popular Crystal Palace and England fan, took aim at Tuchel’s defensive selections.

“Henderson going isn’t even the biggest scandal. Why are we taking three strikers? Why is [Jarrell]Quansah going? Why is [Dan] Burn going? How can you not take Cole Palmer? We have so few gamebreakers off the bench. We got to the final of Euro 2024 because of our ridiculous talent off the bench.”

One fan was more praising of Tuchel’s crop of players, saying: “[Tuchel is] the first ever England manager (especially in my lifetime anyway) to not pick players on reputation. Tuchel hasn’t caved in to outside pressure and I respect that. I trust that man!”

England’s summer kicks off on Monday, June 1 when they land in Florida for their pre-tournament camp.

Their first warm-up game takes place in Tampa against New Zealand on Saturday, June 6.

Ver detalles de la publicación