Italy’s new delegation chief clarifies ‘it won’t be the U21 team’ in June friendlies | OneFootball

Italy’s new delegation chief clarifies ‘it won’t be the U21 team’ in June friendlies | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Football Italia

Football Italia

·20 de mayo de 2026

Italy’s new delegation chief clarifies ‘it won’t be the U21 team’ in June friendlies

Imagen del artículo:Italy’s new delegation chief clarifies ‘it won’t be the U21 team’ in June friendlies

1982 World Cup winner Giancarlo Antognoni will serve as Italy’s delegation chief for the scheduled friendlies coming up at the beginning of June, and he has clarified a few things about the youthful Azzurri side that is set to take to the field in a few weeks’ time: ‘It won’t be the U21 side’.

A young Italy side for June friendlies, but not just the U21 squad

Italy will not be taking part in the 2026 World Cup in North America, but still have friendlies away against Luxembourg and Greece in the calendar for June 3 and June 7 respectively.


OneFootball Videos


It will be a makeshift Italy set-up on and off the pitch: U21s coach Silvio Baldini will be in charge following the resignation of Gennaro Gattuso after the World Cup play-off final defeat against Bosnia and Herzegovina. He will be joined by Antognoni, who has been called in to temporarily replace Gianluigi Buffon, who also left the Italy set-up after missing out on a World Cup spot.

And, it is expected that Italy will name a youthful side that takes part in the June friendlies, featuring several of the players Baldini knows well from his time in charge of the U21 squad.

There had been suggestions that Italy could seek to field a team made up entirely of representatives from the U21 squad, which reportedly angered the Greek federation. Antognoni has since clarified that this is not the case, although he has confirmed that it will be a youthful, but strong Azzurri side nonetheless.

“I’ve read about some controversy in Greece in relation to the fact that some experienced players won’t be there. Honestly, I don’t understand it,” Antognoni said in an interview on the FIGC website.

Imagen del artículo:Italy’s new delegation chief clarifies ‘it won’t be the U21 team’ in June friendlies

EMPOLI, ITALY – MARCH 26: Jeff Ekhator of Italy U21 celebrates after scoring the team’s third goal with Michael Kayode and Luca Kaleosho during the UEFA Under 21 EURO Qualifier match between Italy U21 and North Macedonia U21 at Stadio Carlo Castellani on March 26, 2026 in Empoli, Italy. (Photo by Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images)

“It’s not a lack of respect for our opponents. It won’t be the U21 team that takes to the pitch, but a young and strong Italy side. Lots of talented players will play, some who are already permanent parts of the national team squad, and other guys that Silvio Baldini knows very well having coached them with great results with the U21s over the last nine months.

“I’m convinced that a lot of them will be a part of the core of the national team in the near future.

Antognoni says that he hopes a lot of the players who will play in the June friendlies will be part of the side aiming to take part in the 2030 World Cup.

“But I’m also convinced that a lot of these guys will be called up as early as September, when Italy starts its next journey in the Nations League.

“We’re talking about players who have already had leading roles in Serie A, the Premier League, the Bundesliga and in European competitions.”

Among the Italy U21s with top-flight experience are Michael Kayode (Brentford), Davide Bartesaghi (Milan), Pietro Comuzzo (Fiorentina), Honest Ahanor (Atalanta), Filippo Mane (Borussia Dortmund), Fabio Chiarodia (Borussia Monchengladbach) Cher Ndour (Fiorentina), Luca Lipani (Sassuolo), Luca Koleosho (Paris FC) and Samuele Inacio (Borussia Dortmund).

Imagen del artículo:Italy’s new delegation chief clarifies ‘it won’t be the U21 team’ in June friendlies

DORTMUND, GERMANY – MAY 08: Samuele Inacio of Borussia Dortmund celebrates scoring his team’s third goal during the Bundesliga match between Borussia Dortmund and Eintracht Frankfurt at Signal Iduna Park on May 08, 2026 in Dortmund, Germany. (Photo by Leon Kügeler/Getty Images)

Antognoni ended his interview with a final pledge to the Italy supporters: “I can only say that they will be proud of these guys. Our future starts now.

“And, let me say a few words about Silvio Baldini. He’s a great coach and a proper person. He’s deserved the opportunity to sit in the dugout of a senior national team and I’m convinced that he’s the right man to lead these youngsters into an experience they will never forget.”

Ver detalles de la publicación