'It’s over' - Matt Le Tissier reacts to big Southampton FC update | OneFootball

'It’s over' - Matt Le Tissier reacts to big Southampton FC update | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Football League World

Football League World

·21 de mayo de 2026

'It’s over' - Matt Le Tissier reacts to big Southampton FC update

Imagen del artículo:'It’s over' - Matt Le Tissier reacts to big Southampton FC update

Matt Le Tissier has spoken out following the news that Southampton have been kicked out of the Championship play-offs

Southampton legend Matt Le Tissier has shared his reaction to the news that the Saints have been kicked out of the Championship play-offs and handed a four-point deduction for next season.


OneFootball Videos


The Saints were found guilty of spying on Middlesbrough's training session ahead of their play-off semi-final first leg clash, and also spied on Oxford United and Ipswich Town during the regular season.

Consequently, Boro will face Hull City in Saturday's Wembley Stadium final, with both clubs vying to return to the Premier League for the first time since 2017.

Southampton players and supporters have had a lot to digest in recent days, while key figures could face further ramifications as a result of the spying incidents.

Matt Le Tissier shares Southampton message following big play-off sanction

Imagen del artículo:'It’s over' - Matt Le Tissier reacts to big Southampton FC update

Le Tissier scored 195 goals in 520 appearances for Southampton, and has continued to keep a close eye on developments at St Mary's Stadium since his retirement.

The Saints enjoyed a remarkable 19-game unbeaten run in the Championship before getting the better of Middlesbrough on the pitch in the play-off semi-finals.

However, the South Coast club's spying antics have proven costly, as their place in the play-offs has been taken away from them, and Boro have been granted the opportunity to win promotion to the Premier League instead.

Discussing Southampton's sanctions on X, Le Tissier said: "It’s over. We now move on and focus on restoring our reputation. A lot of work to be done."

As the former England international has alluded to, the Saints have faced a lot of reputational damage in recent days, and football supporters will not forget 'Spygate' in a hurry.

Southampton's chances of winning promotion next season have already been slightly dented by their four-point deduction, while members of Tonda Eckert's squad will now consider their futures.

Saints players have seen their opportunity to win promotion to the Premier League at the first time of asking taken away from them due to the actions of non-playing staff.

According to the Daily Mail, the Southampton squad have missed out on potential bonuses of £250,000 per player, with several now considering legal action.

Meanwhile, The Times have reported that the FA have opened an investigation into the Saints regarding 'Spygate', and will decide on charges against individuals such as boss Eckert.

Saints will take time to recover reputational damage following 'Spygate'

Imagen del artículo:'It’s over' - Matt Le Tissier reacts to big Southampton FC update

Southampton have generated headlines for all the wrong reasons in recent days, having previously enjoyed a largely successful Championship season in which they won 80 points from 46 games.

Meanwhile, supporters have poked fun at Flynn Downes' comments from earlier in the season, when the midfielder said that Saints players knew what their opponents were doing when they went out onto the pitch on a Saturday.

The fact that the South Coast club have admitted to spying on both Ipswich and Oxford during the regular season proves that the Middlesbrough incident, for which they were caught, wasn't a one-off.

Speaking on talkSPORT on Wednesday, Piers Morgan labelled Southampton as 'cheats', adding that he would relegate them for their spying charges.

Ver detalles de la publicación