Neymar leaves future open after World Cup, says he could want to retire in December | OneFootball

Neymar leaves future open after World Cup, says he could want to retire in December | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: OffsAIde

OffsAIde

·20 de febrero de 2026

Neymar leaves future open after World Cup, says he could want to retire in December

Imagen del artículo:Neymar leaves future open after World Cup, says he could want to retire in December

Neymar has left his post-World Cup plans open, admitting he could decide to retire in December as he seeks a Brazil call-up. The 34-year-old says his career beyond 2026 remains undecided.

Fresh from left knee surgery in late December, he returned for Santos on Sunday, playing 45 minutes and supplying an assist in a 6-0 win over Velo Clube-SP. “I do not know what will happen in the future, next year. It could be that in December I feel like retiring,” he told Cazé TV.


OneFootball Videos


Neymar is under contract with Santos until the end of 2026 following his extension. Brazil’s record scorer, with 128 caps and 79 goals, wants a recall for a fourth World Cup, although there are no guarantees.

“I wanted to come back at 100% for this season, that is why I skipped a few matches,” he said.

“It is an important year, not only for Santos, but also for the Brazil national team and for me, with the World Cup,” he added. The tournament runs from 11 June to 19 July in the United States, Mexico and Canada.

He has not played for the Seleçao since October 2023 and has yet to be called by Carlo Ancelotti, who was appointed Brazil coach at the end of May last year.

Ver detalles de la publicación