Decision made: BVB striker is going to the World Cup | OneFootball

Decision made: BVB striker is going to the World Cup | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: BVBWLD.de

BVBWLD.de

·20 mai 2026

Decision made: BVB striker is going to the World Cup

Image de l'article :Decision made: BVB striker is going to the World Cup

Four BVB professionals are reportedly in Germany’s World Cup squad for the 2026 finals. A Borussia Dortmund forward can also look forward to a World Cup ticket after strong performances.

Maximilian Beier can apparently look forward to the 2026 World Cup. As Sky reports, Germany head coach Julian Nagelsmann has called the Borussia Dortmund attacker up to the German World Cup squad. The official presentation of the squad will take place on Thursday.


Vidéos OneFootball


For the 23-year-old, the nomination would be a reward for strong performances in the second half of the season. Beier impressed at BVB with a total of ten goals and ten assists, making him one of Dortmund’s most in-form players in recent months. Since December 2025 in particular, the forward has regularly contributed goals and assists, playing his way back into the national team spotlight.

Most recently, Beier himself had expressed hope of being called up. “I hope that my performances give me reason to be optimistic,” the Dortmund player said in an interview with kicker. He also stressed: “I’ve collected a lot of goal contributions and done everything I could so that hopefully I’ll be there on Thursday.”

Decision made: BVB star Beier is going to the World Cup

In March, Nagelsmann had still left the seven-time international out. The decision sparked debate in Dortmund. “Personally, I would have taken him, but I’m not the national team coach,” BVB coach Niko Kovac said at the time. Roman Weidenfeller also criticized the decision, describing the omission on Sky as “something I can’t understand.”

Image de l'article :Decision made: BVB striker is going to the World Cup

Photo: IMAGO

Now Beier appears to be firmly back in the plans in time for the World Cup. His versatility may also have played an important role. At BVB, the right-footer was used both through the middle and out wide. Borussia Dortmund is therefore providing several players for Germany’s World Cup squad. Alongside Beier, Nico Schlotterbeck, Waldemar Anton and Felix Nmecha are also reportedly part of the squad. BVB managing director Lars Ricken had also publicly spoken in favor of more Dortmund players being included in the national team beforehand.

For Beier, it would be the first World Cup of his career. The attacking player was already part of Germany’s squad for Euro 2024 on home soil and made a brief appearance in the group match against Switzerland. Despite seven international caps so far, however, the Dortmund player is still waiting for his first goal in a Germany shirt.

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇩🇪 here.

À propos de Publisher