OffsAIde
·23 mai 2026
Marcelo Bielsa ‘to leave’ Uruguay role after World Cup

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsOffsAIde
·23 mai 2026

Marcelo Bielsa has reportedly confirmed he will step down as Uruguay manager after this summer’s World Cup.
According to X, he told a press conference that their work would conclude with the tournament and he thanked Uruguay for the opportunity to enjoy a World Cup.
Bielsa marked three years in charge earlier this month, having taken over in May 2023 after leaving Leeds the previous year. His side achieved back-to-back wins over Brazil and Argentina for the first time since 1959. This will be his third World Cup on a third continent, after leading Argentina in 2002 and Chile in 2010, when they exited to Brazil in the knockouts.
Recent months brought pressure. He has clashed publicly with senior names, including former Liverpool striker Luis Suarez. There were calls for his dismissal after a 5-1 defeat to the USA in November, after which he held a lengthy press conference and said the plan remained focused on the World Cup.
This summer’s tournament across the USA, Canada and Mexico now looks set to be his final campaign with Uruguay. They are in Group H, facing Saudi Arabia on June 15, then Cape Verde six days later, before Spain on June 27.
Source: yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk







































