Evening Standard
·22 mai 2026
Roberto De Zerbi confirms who let Cristian Romero skip Tottenham relegation decider

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsEvening Standard
·22 mai 2026

Spurs skipper will be absent for a titanic season finale, as head coach says: “Not all leaders are the same”
Roberto De Zerbi has confirmed that Cristian Romero will not be in attendance for Tottenham’s relegation decider at home to Everton on Sunday.
Romero, who is currently sidelined with a knee injury, has travelled to Argentina as his boyhood club Belgrano prepares to face River Plate in the Primera Division final.
The Spurs captain had been expected to be in attendance at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Sunday, with the north Londoners looking to secure Premier League survival on the final day of the season against Everton.
Instead, Romero was pictured at Belgrano’s training ground on Thursday, and De Zerbi has confirmed the 28-year-old will not return to England ahead of this weekend.
“He spoke with the medical staff, together they decided to go to Argentina to complete the rehab with the Argentinian medical staff,” De Zerbi said in his pre-match press conference.
“We spoke last week. With me, he showed always that he wanted to stay with us, the injury is already an injury and we have to accept it.
“I am not stupid. I want to be clear. I am not stupid. If I understand there is any player, or some player, who thinks for himself before the club, I can't be the same Roberto. But with Cuti Romero, I can't say nothing, because with me, in my time, he has been correct in the beginning, until now.
“I will answer you. The decision was with the medical staff, and I think he can't change nothing if Romero tomorrow is in the stadium or not. And finally, I have no time to lose energy, to lose thinking other things. We have to be focused just on the game, and I think we have the players good enough to achieve our target.”
Romero has been a visible presence off the pitch during De Zerbi’s time in charge and could be seen celebrating on the touchline as Mathys Tel scored the opening goal against Leeds last Monday.
But his decision to return to his native Argentina, where he has been training with Belgrano in preparation for the World Cup, has not gone down well with Spurs supporters.
The World Cup winner, whose Spurs future is in doubt heading into the summer, has been widely criticised for deciding not to attend arguably the biggest game in the club’s history.
De Zerbi says he understands supporter frustration, but added that the decision was made with the medical staff as Romero steps up his recovery ahead of the World Cup.
“100 per cent I understand (supporter frustration),” he continued.
“The decision is with the medical staff. I have not time to lose energy, we have to be focused just on the game. We have players good enough to achieve our target.
“Not all leaders are the same. Ben Davies spoke with me and he asked to stay today to work with us and tomorrow we sleep in The Lodge, the hotel, and he wants to stay with the team, the team-mates, but Romero is preparing for the World Cup, he has an injury and for me nothing has changed.
“And then we have to think after tomorrow, we have to think everything is for the future, the best future of Tottenham.”
Asked if Romero has played his final game for Spurs, De Zerbi said: “I don't know ... After tomorrow there is no trophy, no bonus. There is more than that. There is the history of the club, the pride of the players and their families, the dignity of everyone.
“I can't lose energy on the future. I'm not stupid. I have clear ideas of what I want but there is a process.”




Direct


Direct


Direct































