Glorioso 1904
·24 Mei 2026
Benfica on hold: Enrique Riquelme enters Real Madrid race

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsGlorioso 1904
·24 Mei 2026

It is confirmed: Florentino Pérez will face opposition in the race for the leadership of Real Madrid, as Enrique Riquelme has officially formalized his candidacy. The entry of the 37-year-old businessman also casts doubt over José Mourinho’s future, since the Benfica coach will have to wait for the outcome of the election.
"Today is a very important day for Real Madrid, because after 20 years it will be possible to vote. This is not a candidacy against anyone, it is for Real Madrid", said Enrique Riquelme, announcing to journalists that he has entered the presidential race against Florentino Pérez, stressing the importance of holding an election, something that had not happened since 2006.
"We have worked to create a serious, ambitious project both in sporting and social terms... It will be a project that will delight you", added Enrique Riquelme, giving an idea of some of the most important points of his candidacy, arguing that there is a need for change within the Spanish club.
"Today is a day to enjoy these elections, in which you can vote for the best project", said Riquelme, once again stressing that his candidacy is in no way an attack on Florentino Pérez. "I ask the members not to be afraid", concluded the 37-year-old businessman, making an appeal to the Merengue supporters.
With Enrique Riquelme’s entry into the race for the Real Madrid presidency confirmed, the election is scheduled for June 7, which puts José Mourinho’s move on hold for a few weeks. However, if the businessman wins, he had already admitted that he prefers other options to the Special One.
This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇵🇹 here.







































