Saudações Tricolores.com
·14 August 2026
“Only a madman says no”: Felipe Melo, no contact but “I’m ready”

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsSaudações Tricolores.com
·14 August 2026

During a livestream on his own channel, former player responds to fans’ calls after Zubeldía’s dismissal, denies he is ‘angling’ for the job, and says he would accept the challenge of leading the club
Amid uncertainty over who will be Fluminense’s new coach following the dismissal of Argentine Luis Zubeldía this Thursday, the club’s former player, Felipe Melo, used a live broadcast on his YouTube channel to clear up the rumors.
The former defensive midfielder categorically denied having been approached by any member of the club’s board. However, while commenting on the campaigns and calls from Fluminense fans on social media for him to take charge of the team, Felipe Melo did not hide his pride and said confidently that he feels ready for the role.

Photo: Reproduction
Although he had previously said that he intended to begin his coaching career outside Brazil, Felipe Melo made it clear that he would not turn down an offer from a club of Fluminense’s stature:
“I want to make it very clear to you that I have not had any contact with anyone from Fluminense. No one from Fluminense. I’ll repeat: I have not had any contact with anyone from Fluminense. Now, you’re asking me... I’m not blind. I see the comments, and for me it’s a huge source of pride.”
“At one point I said I wouldn’t coach in Brazil, that I would start abroad. But let’s be real: if a club like Fluminense comes and wants to hire you... what are you going to say? That you won’t coach in Brazil? Only if you’re crazy, a coward, or not ready. I’m not crazy, I’m not a coward, and I am ready!”
Aware of how his comments would be received, the former player anticipated the criticism that he was trying to force an opportunity to take over Fluminense:
“People are already going to take this clip and say, ‘Oh, he’s angling for it.’ I’m not angling for it, I’m answering a question. That said, they haven’t called me, they haven’t contacted me. I’m just very grateful to the Fluminense fans who have been asking for me to become coach. It’s an enormous source of pride!”
For now, Fluminense remains in the market looking for a replacement for Zubeldía, while permanent assistant coach Marcão is leading the team on an interim basis.
This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.







































