Spurs boss on Cuti's Argentina trip row: ‘He’s injured, I’m not stupid’ | OneFootball

Spurs boss on Cuti's Argentina trip row: ‘He’s injured, I’m not stupid’ | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Radio Gol

Radio Gol

·22 Mei 2026

Spurs boss on Cuti's Argentina trip row: ‘He’s injured, I’m not stupid’

Gambar artikel:Spurs boss on Cuti's Argentina trip row: ‘He’s injured, I’m not stupid’

Just as Cristian Romero knew how to pile up praise, applause, and ovations at Tottenham for his level on the pitch, where he never gives up on a ball, this time he has to endure a wave of criticism and questions. Although he has not played for a month due to a ligament injury in his right knee, Cuti was targeted by fans after traveling to Córdoba at the beginning of this week, just a couple of days before the most important match of the season: the one that will determine survival in the Premier League or the sad drop to the Championship.

The center back’s trip to Argentina sparked all kinds of opinions. Some Spurs fans expressed their discomfort on social media, considering that he is the captain and will not be close to the squad when they host Everton next Sunday, precisely the day he will watch from the stands at the Kempes the Apertura Tournament final between his beloved Belgrano and River.


Video OneFootball


However, the word that carries the most weight is that of his coach Roberto De Zerbi, who was far from pointing the finger at him. Rather, he played down the matter and explained that he had the full backing of the club to go to his country: “He spoke with the medical staff. Together they decided to go to Argentina to complete the rehabilitation with the Argentine medical staff. We spoke last week.”

The Italian manager did not question Romero’s commitment to Tottenham, which with a win will remain in the top flight, regardless of West Ham’s result against Leeds: “He is injured, I’m not stupid. If I understand that there is any player who thinks about himself before the club, I cannot be the same.”

He even highlighted his contribution on and off the pitch: “With Cuti I can’t say anything because with me he has been proper from the moment I started until now. He is a top-level player and with me he has been a great person.”

Cuti trains at Belgrano focused on the Argentina national team

Just over a month has passed since the injury, and the center back, one of Lionel Scaloni’s guaranteed call-ups for the World Cup, is feeling better and better. “Yesterday he was training and I told him that I think he’ll be the one arriving at the World Cup in the best shape. I saw him and he looks great. He’ll arrive rested, ready to join at the highest level.”, Luis Artime said in an interview with TyC Sports.

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇪🇸 here.

Lihat jejak penerbit