City Xtra
·23 de maio de 2026
Enzo Maresca and Manchester City receive Real Madrid competition for Chelsea’s Enzo Fernandez

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsCity Xtra
·23 de maio de 2026

Real Madrid have joined Manchester City in the pursuit of signing Chelsea midfielder Enzo Fernandez in the summer transfer window, as per recent reports.
The 25-year-old arrived at Stamford Bridge from Benfica in January 2023 on an eight-and-a-half-year contract valid until the summer of 2032 for a then-British record of £107 million ($141 million).
He has been heavily linked with a move away from the London side after a difficult campaign. Despite being one of Chelsea’s consistent players this season, Fernandez had a brief fallout with former manager Liam Rosenior, who took charge in January and was later dismissed from his role after less than four months on April 22.
From Argentina: Enzo Maresca appointment will propel Enzo Fernandez transfer to Manchester City
Now, Real Madrid and Manchester City have emerged as the top suitors for the Argentine star, and an intense transfer battle is anticipated ahead of the upcoming campaign.
Fernandez was able to establish himself as a regular starter since his arrival at Chelsea and maintained the same under former manager Enzo Maresca, who was appointed by the English club in 2024 and stepped down from the role in January.
He has started in 48 out of the 53 appearances that he has made for Chelsea across competitions this season, registering 15 goals and seven assists, as per Transfermarkt.
Following Chelsea’s elimination from the Champions League in March, Fernandez told ESPN Argentina that he does not know if he will remain at Stamford Bridge for the next campaign.
About two weeks later, in a separate interview, the River Plate graduate expressed his wish to reside in Spain in the future while mentioning that he really likes Madrid, which, according to him, is similar to his birth city, Buenos Aires, in Argentina.
Fernandez’s remarks led to him receiving a two-match ban in April, with Rosenior claiming that “a line was crossed” by the former Benfica star.
Manchester City identify Chelsea vice-captain Enzo Fernandez as Elliot Anderson alternative
While he sat out those two crucial fixtures, the FA Cup quarter-final and a Premier League match against Manchester City, as per the club’s sanction, the midfielder’s agent, Javier Pastore, said that the punishment was “completely unfair.”
Pastore further claimed that there was no “real reason or justification” for the ban, and Fernandez did not understand the situation.
After serving his suspension, Fernandez returned to action for Chelsea and has since started in the next seven matches across competitions while playing full 90 minutes in six of them.
Real Madrid are keen on making a move for Fernandez this summer, while the midfielder has also attracted interest from Manchester City, according to The Independent.
While both sides could be a great new destination for the Argentine, their reported interest and the potential transfer race also appear to depend on some interrelated factors.
Los Blancos are reportedly looking to strengthen their midfield ahead of the upcoming season and have also been heavily linked to make a move for Manchester City’s Rodri, who will soon be entering the last year of his current contract.
Chelsea stance on Enzo Fernandez sale revealed amid newfound Manchester City interest
Even though the 2024 Ballon d’Or winner is on top of Real Madrid’s transfer target list, the signing is deemed to be difficult as City may not be open to parting ways with Rodri, making Fernandez a more prominent option for the Spanish giants this summer.
Manchester City, meanwhile, have recently announced the upcoming departure of head coach Pep Guardiola at the end of the season, and Maresca has been widely reported as the Catalan manager’s successor at the Etihad Stadium.
Fernandez has shared a good relationship with Maresca at Chelsea, and might consider a reunion if the Italian coach takes charge of the Manchester club.
As for Chelsea, if the midfielder decides to leave, Real Madrid and Manchester City may be among the few clubs that could match their asking price, which is estimated to be in the range of €100 million to €150 million.
Fernandez, who was appointed vice captain in 2024, has been a key player for the West London side over the years, scoring a total of 31 and providing 30 assists in 168 appearances for the club.
With six more years left in his contract and considering his hefty transfer fee, Chelsea may not be open to parting ways with Fernandez just yet.
Manchester City interest in Enzo Fernandez revealed following blockbuster Chelsea switch
During the aforementioned suspension, Rosenior clarified that “the door is not closed” on Fernandez, referring to the ban as just a sanction.
The player’s agent, Pastore, however, hinted that Fernandez did not agree with the club’s decision about his ban and said, as cited by ESPN,
“Our plan after the World Cup is to meet with Chelsea again and, if there is no agreement, to explore other options.”
Chelsea, meanwhile, have appointed Xabi Alonso as their next head coach, and the former Real Madrid manager will take charge at Stamford Bridge starting July 1.
Alonso was recently asked by El Chiringuito TV about how top clubs are reportedly interested in signing some of the players in his new squad, including Fernandez said: “Well, this is football and we’ll make a good team,” as quoted by Mirror Sport.
While several recent reports have suggested that Chelsea’s final Premier League match of the season against Sunderland on May 24 could be Fernandez’s last game for the club, it remains to be seen what’s next for the midfielder.


Ao vivo





































