Riquelme files Real Madrid presidency bid, says members can vote after 20 years | OneFootball

Riquelme files Real Madrid presidency bid, says members can vote after 20 years | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: OffsAIde

OffsAIde

·24 de maio de 2026

Riquelme files Real Madrid presidency bid, says members can vote after 20 years

Imagem do artigo:Riquelme files Real Madrid presidency bid, says members can vote after 20 years

Enrique Riquelme, an Alicante businessman, filed his Real Madrid presidency bid on Saturday at Valdebebas, where the club’s electoral office sits. According to El Periódico Mediterráneo, he spoke shortly after six pm, made a statement and took no questions.

He said he would take questions once the electoral board validates his guarantee and confirms he meets the remaining requirements to be named an official candidate.


Vídeos OneFootball


Riquelme called it an important day, saying members would be able to vote for the first time in 20 years. He framed his bid as for the club, not against anyone, and promised a serious, professional project across sporting and social areas.

On social media he repeated the themes, and on Instagram he evoked a childhood dream binding him to Real Madrid. He said his run is driven by respect, enthusiasm and responsibility, and that madridismo is felt from an early age.

He overcame refusals from major Spanish banks, including Banco de Santander and BBVA, to provide the mandatory 15% guarantee. He instead obtained a 193.7 million euros bank guarantee from Andbank España, fully covered by the lender, backed by his personal assets and with counter-guarantees from other entities including Nova Scotia Bank.

Earlier on Saturday, Florentino Pérez unveiled a banner in Plaza de los Sagrados Corazones, opposite the Bernabéu, featuring his image, the motto 'Mucha historia por hacer' and seven Champions League cities under his tenure, including Glasgow, Lisbon, Milan, Cardiff, Kyiv, Paris and London.

Saiba mais sobre o veículo