Football365
·23 August 2026
Andoni Iraola makes Liverpool transfer vow as FSG contemplate £70m bid

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsFootball365
·23 August 2026

Andoni Iraola admits that Liverpool may wait up until the very end of the transfer window before signing a player, as FSG consider upping their offer for Brighton and Hove Albion’s Yankuba Minteh.
So far this summer, the Reds have recruited defender Jeremy Jacquet and winger Victor Munoz, in addition to the loan capture of Barcelona centre-back Ronald Araujo.
New Reds boss Iraola has expressed concerns about his side running out of gas towards the end of games, as his players try to get used to his high-octane style.
Moreover, the former Bournemouth manager wants new faces through the door at Anfield if they want to become Premier League title challengers again.
This week, he told Sky Sports, “Some deals you have to wait until the end. But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1, because it is true that we are still quite thin.”
He later told reporters, “As a manager, this is an easy one for me. I wanted the players for the first day, July 13, everyone here, all the positions doubled, top-level players.
“But you understand how the competition works, that [the] market is open and you start the competition. We have to adapt as coaches to this situation.
“I hate these two weeks or these 10 days that we have because there is a lot of uncertainty – but not in Liverpool, everywhere because once the market is open. But we have to adapt.”
There is also uncertainty about whether or not Liverpool will be able to sign Brighton winger Minteh, who has been the subject of two rejected bids from the Reds.
FSG’s last offer of £60m was knocked back and now, reports suggest they are re-entering talks with Brighton over a new and improved proposal. That is according to transfer journalist Ben Jacobs, who states both parties may return to the negotiating table.
He tweeted on Sunday, “Fresh talks later today between Liverpool and Brighton for Yankuba Minteh. Understand contact expected even though both sides have a game as #LFC decide whether to make a third bid.”
Liverpool are so desperate for a winger, they are even prepared to wait on the fact that Minteh is likely to be out until late October with a leg injury.
The 22-year-old had surgery on the problem earlier this month but the Reds are still interested in the Gambian international, who provided just seven goal contributions in the Premier League last season.
Liverpool want to find a replacement for Mohamed Salah, who left the club after nine glittering years at the end of the 2025-26 campaign. But the fact they are pressing very hard for Minteh arguably shows how desperate they are.
On the former Newcastle United man’s future, Brighton boss Fabian Hurzeler said this week, “We can go through every individual player, we know how important they are but we know good achievements, big achievements, you create a lot of attention and therefore we have to wait now.
“The situation will evolve. I’m not here to complain, I’m here to find solutions.”
It remains to be seen if a transfer solution can be found on Minteh, whose deal runs until 2029.












Live



























