Asked at Mineirão on Cruzeiro exit, Jardim: “No one says no to Flamengo” | OneFootball

Asked at Mineirão on Cruzeiro exit, Jardim: “No one says no to Flamengo” | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Coluna do Fla

Coluna do Fla

·13 August 2026

Asked at Mineirão on Cruzeiro exit, Jardim: “No one says no to Flamengo”

Article image:Asked at Mineirão on Cruzeiro exit, Jardim: “No one says no to Flamengo”

Leonardo Jardim explained his move to Flamengo after backtracking on his promise not to coach another team in Brazilian football


Flamengo and Cruzeiro drew 1-1 this Wednesday (12) in the first leg of the Libertadores round of 16. Right after the final whistle, reporters from Minas Gerais asked coach Leonardo Jardim in the post-match press conference about his departure from Belo Horizonte at the end of last year and his subsequent deal with the Rubro-Negro.

Calmly, the Portuguese manager detailed the behind-the-scenes of his change of plans. In addition, he revealed his failed plans to join clubs abroad and praised Flamengo’s stature to justify his decision.


OneFootball Videos


— I already told you. I thought I would stay away from Brazil for a while, but that didn’t happen. The parties agreed not to continue. My idea was not to return to Brazil, honestly. Maybe it was to stay in the Middle East. The war started there, and I ended up not having space there, which was what I intended. Then Flamengo came along, and no one can say no to Flamengo. Whether we like it or not, it is the biggest club in South America. And no one can say no to Flamengo he said, before continuing:

— That’s why I accepted coming back to Brazil. I’ve already apologized regarding this situation for having given that opinion, but regarding other situations I’m very calm because I know very well what happened. Many of you know it too, but sometimes it’s better to kick it to the side and close your eyes — he concluded in the press conference.

HOW WAS LEONARDO JARDIM’S SPELL AT CRUZEIRO?

Leonardo Jardim took charge of Cruzeiro in February 2025 and ended his spell at the Minas Gerais club in December of the same year. In the meantime, he racked up 55 matches and a third-place finish in the Brazilian Championship.

At the time, the Portuguese coach cited burnout in the role and personal reasons to justify his departure. Before leaving Belo Horizonte, he publicly guaranteed that he would not take over another team in Brazilian football.

Months later, the situation changed with his agreement to coach Flamengo in March 2026. The decision caused a strong reaction. In this Wednesday’s match (12), Cruzeiro fans even shouted insults at the former coach during the minute of silence before kickoff.

In addition, fake banknotes featuring Leonardo Jardim’s face were handed out at Mineirão with the phrases “100 shame” and “100 character”, and protest signs filled the stadium during the match. Such reactions lay bare the resentment Cruzeiro fans feel toward the coach.

REUNION?

The next meeting between Leonardo Jardim and Cruzeiro fans is near, now with a place in the Copa Libertadores quarterfinals at stake. The decisive match takes place next Wednesday (19) at the Maracanã, with Flamengo and Cruzeiro kicking off at 9:30 p.m. (Brasília time). Since the first leg ended 1-1, any draw will send the decision to penalties.

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.

View publisher imprint