Barra Funda issues and privacy sent dropped players to Cotia, says Dorival | OneFootball

Barra Funda issues and privacy sent dropped players to Cotia, says Dorival | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: AVANTE MEU TRICOLOR

AVANTE MEU TRICOLOR

·19 August 2026

Barra Funda issues and privacy sent dropped players to Cotia, says Dorival

Article image:Barra Funda issues and privacy sent dropped players to Cotia, says Dorival

Lack of space at the Barra Funda training center and problems with the condition of its pitches reportedly led São Paulo to move four players sidelined from the first team to train in Cotia, the site used for the youth academy. The measure will remain in place, at least until the end of this week.

The information was reported by journalist Alexandre Salvador, from the channels ‘3 Zagueiros’ and ‘Arnaldo e Tironi’.


OneFootball Videos


According to the report, the decision to relocate the quartet was aimed at preserving the privacy of the main squad and easing what was seen as an awkward atmosphere caused by the daily presence of players who are no longer in the club’s plans in the training center’s common areas.

Also according to the journalist’s report, the Barra Funda training center has been dealing with pest problems on the pitches and recent renovation work. Excessive moisture on one of the fields — located near the border with Palmeiras’ training center and with less sunlight — has reportedly been leaving the surface waterlogged and unstable, a factor that, according to the internal view described, may have contributed to recent injuries to players such as Arboleda, Artur and Cauly.

Because of all this, there would be limited space for defensive midfielder Luan, full-backs Cédric Soares and Maik, and center-back Matheus Belém to maintain a routine of activities without contact with the rest of the group.

When asked about the matter at the press conference after the win over Bolívar, coach Dorival Júnior confirmed the move and justified the measure on logistical and operational grounds:

“It was an internal decision by us, it was made, everyone is aware of it, it was necessary. They are receiving all possible attention, with professionals monitoring them. Only because of the problems we are having internally did we have to make a decision,” the coach said.

The situation of the sidelined players

The players sent to the Cotia training center were given a specific activity schedule to follow until Friday (21), while the plan for the following weeks has yet to be defined by the board.

Having been informed about two months ago that they would not be used by the coaching staff, the players are free to look for new clubs.

Luan: The defensive midfielder had been training at alternate times in Barra Funda. With a contract valid only until the end of this year, the player is already free to sign a pre-contract with another team and is negotiating a mutual termination after refusing to go out on loan.

Cédric Soares: The Portuguese right-back was also following a routine at separate times at the first-team training center. He is under contract with the club until the end of 2027.

Maik: The 21-year-old full-back lost space in the squad during coach Roger Machado’s spell and is under contract with São Paulo until May 2028.

Matheus Belém: The 23-year-old center-back is in the final stretch of his deal, with a contract valid until the end of this year, and can also sign a pre-agreement with another club.

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.

View publisher imprint