Evening Standard
·19 August 2026
Can Carlos Baleba make Manchester United debut this weekend? Talks continue over summer transfer

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsEvening Standard
·19 August 2026

Man Utd kick off the new Premier League season away at Hull on Saturday
Amid links to Myles Lewis-Skelly, Eduardo Camavinga, Adam Wharton and Aurelien Tchouameni, the Athletic have reported that the Red Devils are nearing a deal for Baleba.
It’s understood that while United’s offer for the Cameroon international is around £65million which is below Brighton’s valuation, talks will continue as all parties work to reach an agreement.
With that said, United are running out of time to agree a fee for Baleba before the start of the new Premier League season.
Michael Carrick’s side face newly-promoted Hull City away from home on Saturday, kick-off at 12.30pm BST, meaning they have until Friday (August 21) at 12pm to register Baleba in order for him to be available for selection at the MKM Stadium.
However, even if United to meet the aforementioned deadline, it’s almost certain that Baleba will not make his debut as early as this weekend.
The midfielder has not featured in any of Brighton’s summer friendlies, with his last appearance at any level, ironically, the 3-0 loss to Man United on the final day of the 2025-26 season.
This is because Baleba has been suffering with an ankle injury, though Brighton head coach Fabian Hurzeler has insisted it’s not too serious.
Speaking at a Brighton Fans' Forum earlier in the month, he said: "In regards to the injury to Carlos [Baleba], I am hopeful that it is not that bad and that we will see him back on the pitch quite soon.
“You don't need to worry that much about him."







































