OffsAIde
·18 August 2026
Ceuta turmoil prompts Costa Adeje Tenerife women to cancel Agadir friendly amid dispute

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsOffsAIde
·18 August 2026

Costa Adeje Tenerife have cancelled a women’s friendly in Agadir amid heightened Spain-Morocco tensions. The central government rejects any involvement and maintains there is no change to sporting exchanges.
According to El Periódico Mediterráneo, the women’s side affiliated to CD Tenerife pulled Thursday’s match against the Souss-Massa regional team after being told that CD Tenerife had received guidance from state bodies to suspend travel.
Team president Sergio Batista informed the Canary Islands government that the move initially came from CD Tenerife. When he sought clarification, he was told it stemmed from an instruction from state-level authorities.
The cancellation follows recent flashpoints at the Tarajal crossing in Ceuta, including a mass entry on 30 July and another attempt last Saturday. Police deployments have been reinforced in both Spanish enclaves, with support from Morocco’s Royal Gendarmerie.
Club management frames the decision as a precaution to avoid risks to players, staff and the travelling party. Barcelona had already scrapped a planned friendly in Morocco on 15 August, announcing on 6 August that security could not be guaranteed.
The Canary Islands government, a key backer of the event, distanced itself from the suspension. Vice-minister Octavio Caraballo said the executive was unaware, urged against speculation and stressed that federations and clubs lead on such decisions.
The Agadir fixture had been set since 27 June and would have been the sixth and final pre-season game for the blanquiazul side. Costa Adeje Tenerife are due to start their Liga F Moeve campaign on Sunday 30 August.
Source: El Periódico Mediterráneo
“Artificial intelligence was used to assist in creating this article based on reporting from the original source quoted.”
Live







































