Hooligan Soccer
·17 August 2026
Erik Lira and Armando González on the verge of European moves

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsHooligan Soccer
·17 August 2026

More than a month has passed since Mexico wrapped up its World Cup campaign on July 6, and for those of us expecting a transfer frenzy involving Liga MX players, well… we got catfished by the market. Instead of a parade of Europeans waving contracts around, we’ve had weeks of radio silence. But now, two moves are finally simmering—and in the next few hours, they could become reality.
If there was one Liga MX player who truly elevated his stock during Mexico’s World Cup, it was Erik Lira. The Cruz Azul midfielder, arguably Mexico’s standout performer at the tournament, already rejected a $12 million offer from Al Jazira in the United Arab Emirates, a club that tried to lure him with what can only be described as an avalanche of cash.
Lira’s answer? Thanks, but I’d rather chase the European dream.
AS Monaco eventually entered the picture, although their first proposal reportedly failed to impress Cruz Azul. The Ligue 1 club is expected to return with an improved proposal after negotiations began last week, which could finally allow Lira to pack his bags.
Besides Monaco and Al Jazira, an Italian club also submitted a bid that was dismissed because it was considered far too low.
Despite the ongoing talks, Lira has remained fully available for head coach Joel Huiqui. The Cruz Azul captain started and played all 90 minutes in Sunday’s 2-1 loss to Tijuana during Matchday 4 of the Apertura 2026 season.
Nothing says “don’t worry, we’re negotiating your future” quite like making you play the full match anyway.
Lira’s situation contrasts sharply with Armando González’s.
Chivas left their striker out of the squad for their 1-0 away victory over Santos Laguna, and unless Guadalajara suddenly invented “preventive emotional load management,” it’s hard to ignore what’s happening behind the scenes.
Olympiacos appear to be the reason.
After the final whistle, several teammates and coaching staff members embraced González, making it look suspiciously like a farewell scene before anyone officially says goodbye.
Before the World Cup—where González barely featured, playing only a few minutes in Mexico’s opener against South Africa—he had already received an offer from CSKA Moscow. He chose to stay at Chivas because a move to Russia simply wasn’t appealing.
Now Greece is calling, and this time the conversation has become much more serious.
Olympiacos’s interest has moved beyond scouting reports and into formal negotiations with Guadalajara. The Greek club initially offered around $6 million, an amount Chivas immediately deemed insufficient. According to El Informador, Olympiacos are now prepared to significantly improve their proposal, with the package reaching approximately $9 million plus bonuses.
The biggest obstacle remains Chivas’ stance. The club has made one thing crystal clear: González will only leave if someone activates his release clause.
That clause reportedly sits at around $15 million, leaving a considerable gap between Guadalajara’s asking price and Olympiacos’s current offer. Translation: everyone’s speaking the same language now—they’re just arguing over several million dollars.
On Monday, Chivas head coach Gabriel Milito addressed González’s situation and made it clear he would support the striker’s departure if the deal becomes reality.
“It’s a possibility, and everything that contributes to the happiness of players, I support and I’m in favor of. The important thing is the footballers and that they’re happy. If this possibility were to become reality and ‘Hormi’ took that step, I’d be happy because it would represent progress. If it happens, the player accepts it, and I’ll accompany that decision with great happiness.”
Milito also explained why González did not feature against Santos.
“Naturally I’m aware of the situation, although I don’t know what’s going to happen. Whether he stays or whether an offer arrives that convinces the club and allows ‘Hormiga’ to fulfill his dream of playing in Europe. I preferred to start the match with Ricardo Marín and finish with Sepu (Ángel Sepúlveda). I wanted to leave ‘Hormi’ calm because there’s always extra anxiety, and we needed everyone fully focused on the game. Unconsciously, these situations distract you. We’ll see what happens during the week. If ‘Hormiga’ stays, he’ll play again, and if that doesn’t happen, what I wanted was to give him peace while these decisions are being made. It had nothing to do with the negotiations.”
It’s a refreshingly honest explanation. Pretending a player whose phone keeps vibrating with European offers is mentally locked into a league match would probably fool exactly nobody.
If González ultimately lands in Piraeus, he’ll be joining a club with fond memories of Mexican players. Both Nery Castillo and Alan Pulido previously wore the Olympiacos shirt.
Castillo, in particular, became one of the club’s iconic figures, winning seven league titles and leaving behind a legacy that gives Mexican footballers a positive reputation inside the Greek powerhouse.
For now, however, both Lira and González remain Liga MX players.
But after weeks of a transfer window that felt like waiting for a bus that never comes, Monaco and Olympiacos may finally be ready to put two of Mexico’s brightest talents on flights headed toward Europe.
We also recommend: https://hooligan-soccer.com/time-for-barcelonas-transfer-alternatives/







































