OffsAIde
·19 August 2026
Flamengo call Gerson desperate before Cruzeiro Libertadores clash

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsOffsAIde
·19 August 2026

Flamengo have filed new arguments in court over their R$ 42.75 million claim against Gerson, accusing the midfielder and his father, Marcão, of a desperate tactic before Cruzeiro’s Libertadores visit.
ESPN reports that Gerson’s defence sought contracts, briefings, reports and papers tied to sponsors and banks, requests Flamengo argue are unrelated and would only slow the case.
The club says the manoeuvre aims to delay an outcome it believes will be unfavourable to the defendants. It also opposed a handwriting test on a resignation letter now in the record.
Gerson previously said Flamengo told him to write and sign that note, yet elsewhere acknowledged his signature. The club called the subsequent bid for expert analysis contradictory and alleged bad faith by Gerson and Marcão.
His representatives maintain the switch to Zenit was consensual and argue the suit pursues an undue advantage. The claim stems from an image-rights deal with 57 months left at R$ 750,000 per month.
The dispute intensified after Zenit paid about R$ 160 million to trigger Gerson’s release clause, while Flamengo pursued what it says was a separate commitment ended early. He later joined Cruzeiro.
The court rejected requests for handwriting and accounting examinations and declined to punish Flamengo for alleged bad-faith litigation. The claim remains before the judiciary.
The sides meet again at 21:30 Brasília time on Wednesday 19 at the Maracanã in the Libertadores last-16 second leg, after a 1-1 draw in Belo Horizonte.
Source: Coluna Do Fla
“Artificial intelligence was used to assist in creating this article based on reporting from the original source quoted.”







































