Gladbach confirm return of Itakura from Ajax | OneFootball

Gladbach confirm return of Itakura from Ajax | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: OffsAIde

OffsAIde

·20 August 2026

Gladbach confirm return of Itakura from Ajax

Article image:Gladbach confirm return of Itakura from Ajax

Borussia Mönchengladbach have re-signed Ko Itakura from Ajax, with the club confirming the 29-year-old centre-back on a contract until 2030 on Thursday.

The Japan international returns only one year after leaving Borussia-Park for a reported €10.5 million.


OneFootball Videos


He arrives as a replacement for Nico Elvedi, who has left the club to join Leeds United.

Sporting chief Rouven Schröder said the move had been considered over the winter and described it as a bold plan that has now become reality.

Schröder added that Itakura brings exactly the experience and quality sought after Elvedi’s exit and, being familiar with the club, should need little time to settle.

Itakura said he is delighted to return, missed the club, decided to come back when the offer arrived and is eager to play at home in front of the fans.

“Artificial intelligence was used to assist in creating this article based on reporting from the original source quoted.”

View publisher imprint