Joao Gomes to miss Arsenal clash after Aston Villa red card as problems mount for Unai Emery | OneFootball

Joao Gomes to miss Arsenal clash after Aston Villa red card as problems mount for Unai Emery | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Evening Standard

Evening Standard

·23 August 2026

Joao Gomes to miss Arsenal clash after Aston Villa red card as problems mount for Unai Emery

Article image:Joao Gomes to miss Arsenal clash after Aston Villa red card as problems mount for Unai Emery

New signing endures a nightmare Premier League debut for Villa

Unai Emery’s side made the worst possible start to the league campaign on Sunday afternoon, losing 4-0 away at Brighton with all four goals coming in a nightmare first half for the visitors.


OneFootball Videos


Brighton took the lead inside eight minutes when Victor Lindelof put through his own net, before Maxim De Cuyper doubled the advantage ten minutes later.

Jack Hinshelwood's quickfire double wrapped up the points just after the half hour mark and five minutes before the break Gomes was given his marching orders, leaving Villa down to ten players for the remainder of the game.

The midfielder, who arrived from Wolves in a reported £38million deal, had already been booked in the ninth minute for an argument was shown a red card after a VAR review for a kick out at Georginio Rutter.

The Premier League match centre confirmed the 25-year-old's dismissal was for violent conduct.

"After VAR review, the referee issued a red card to Gomes for violent conduct," they said in a statement.

"REF: “After review, Aston Villa No.35 kicks out at his opponent. Final decision is red card”.

Due to Gomes being sent-off for violent conduct, he will have to serve a minimum three-game suspension, meaning he will miss Arsenal’s visit to Villa Park on August 31.

Had the midfielder been dismissed for a less severe offence, for example denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity, then a one-match ban would have been the punishment.

But in this case, Gomes will also miss Premier League matches against Hull City and Nottingham Forest.

Villa’s problems do not end there as Ollie Watkins’ involvement is also in doubt after he missed the defeat at the Amex Stadium amid reports he is is pushing for a move to Al Hilal.

It is understood Villa have rejected four bids from the Saudi Pro League club and that a transfer agreement is not currently close, but Emery said it was the England international’s responsibility to explain his absence.

“This question is for him. I can’t answer. I can answer only with my silence,” said Emery when asked about Watkins’ omission.

Asked if the 30-year-old had refused to play, Emery replied: “I think you can call him, you can call his agent, and he can respond. It’s not my responsibility.”

View publisher imprint