"Many Right Choices" - Xabi Alonso Sends Transfer Message To Chelsea Hierarchy | OneFootball

"Many Right Choices" - Xabi Alonso Sends Transfer Message To Chelsea Hierarchy | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Absolute Chelsea

Absolute Chelsea

·22 August 2026

"Many Right Choices" - Xabi Alonso Sends Transfer Message To Chelsea Hierarchy

Article image:"Many Right Choices" - Xabi Alonso Sends Transfer Message To Chelsea Hierarchy

Preview Chelsea's 2026/27 season after a busy summer. Video Credit: Absolute Chelsea

Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso has expressed his satisfaction with the squad he helped build this summer, including several experienced additions.


OneFootball Videos


Just like in the last couple of seasons, Chelsea will likely have the youngest squad by average age in the Premier League for 2026-27.

However, Chelsea's squad building differs greatly between this summer and last year.

Chelsea have continued to acquire young talents such as Geovany Quenda (19), Marco Palestra (21), Valentin Barco (22), and Morgan Rogers (23). But they also brought in Jordan Henderson (36), Danny Welbeck (35), Pep Chavarria (28), and Maxence Lacroix (26) to add experience to the squad.

There is a clear plan to create more balance in the squad by age, and this is exactly what Alonso wants.

“I'm really happy. I think we've made many right choices,” Alonso said when asked about Chelsea’s summer transfer business.

He added: "Good balance in terms of quality, personality, maturity, and different stages of career. We are in a good position, I'd say."

Alonso's positive comments weren't just because he wanted to dodge questions about Chelsea’s transfer plan. In a more recent interview, he reiterated his satisfaction with his squad.

“We are thrilled and so happy with the squad that we have built,” the Spaniard told Sky Sports.

“These guys, they’re young, but they’re mature. They know what it takes to compete in the Premier League, and they will be key to having a great season.”

Chelsea unlikely to remain active in procuring players this summer

Alonso’s statements indicate that he already has a clear idea about his squad for the season.

The Spaniard’s early appointment in May and Chelsea’s proactive approach in the past year have proved crucial in avoiding a late-window scramble for squad reinforcements.

The squad is still too big. Chelsea will keep trying to offload players before the window closes, but at least this is no longer affecting the team’s preparation.

Alonso and Chelsea have tried to address the squad-size issue by splitting team training into two groups: the main group and a second group. This allows the manager to focus on the main squad.

Liam Delap, Nicolas Jackson, Mykhailo Mudryk and Tosin Adarabioyo are among the players who are reported to have been training in the second group. Many in this category are expected to leave permanently this summer, while others are available for loan.

Obviously, it is possible Chelsea may have to re-enter the transfer market for a new signing if a player from the main group leaves the club late in the window.

Enzo Fernandez, in particular, continues to be linked with a potential move to Manchester City despite Chelsea’s intention to keep him. Losing such a key player would force Chelsea to bring in a replacement.

Regardless, Alonso has received plenty of support from the hierarchy in terms of recruitment, and it is time to deliver on the pitch, starting with Monday’s season opener against Fulham.

View publisher imprint