Evening Standard
·30 November 2025
Moises Caicedo red card explained as Arsenal bench fume over 'nasty' challenge in fiery Chelsea clash

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsEvening Standard
·30 November 2025

Gunners not happy over dangerous tackle on Mikel Merino that led to a sending off for influential Blues midfielder
Moises Caicedo was sent off during the first half of Sunday’s huge Premier League showdown between Chelsea and Arsenal.
The Blues started well against the dominant leaders in a feisty all-London clash at Stamford Bridge that involved a flurry of early bookings, but saw their hopes of a valuable victory dealt a blow in the 38th minute.
Caicedo, arguably Chelsea’s most important player at the centre of a much-anticipated battle with Declan Rice, made a dangerous challenge on Arsenal’s Mikel Merino that saw his studs drive into the Spaniard’s ankle.
Both men stayed down after the tackle, with Caicedo shown an initial yellow card by referee Anthony Taylor as Video Assistant Referee (VAR) John Brooks then recommended an on-field review.
Taylor was sent to watch replays of the incident back on the pitchside monitor and ended up overturning his original decision, instead showing Caicedo a straight red card.
Arsenal’s bench all rose up in unison to protest against Caicedo only receiving an initial yellow once they saw their own replays of the challenge.
“After review, Chelsea’s [number] 25 makes a challenge with excessive force, endangering the safety of the opponent,” Taylor informed the Stamford Bridge crowd on the referee’s microphone.
“Therefore my final decision is a red card.”
The Premier League’s Match Centre followed up with confirmation on social media that Caicedo had been dismissed for serious foul play.
“After VAR review, the referee overturned the original decision of yellow card to Caicedo and issued a red card for serious foul play,” they said.
It was a first red card in 130 Premier League appearances for Caicedo for both Chelsea and Brighton, with the Ecuador international limping down the tunnel as Merino played on.
It was Chelsea’s fourth sending off in 13 league games this season and seventh in 20 matches across all competitions with more questions set to be asked over their repeated ill-discipline.
He will now serve a three-match domestic suspension, ruling him out of Wednesday’s trip to struggling Leeds as well as the visit to Bournemouth on December 9.
Caicedo will also be banned for Chelsea’s next home match against Everton on December 13, but can play away at Atalanta in the Champions League on December 9, provided he is not injured.
He will be eligible to return in domestic competition during the Carabao Cup quarter-final tie away at third-tier Cardiff on December 16, with Enzo Maresca’s side finishing 2025 with matches against Newcastle and Aston Villa and another meeting with Bournemouth, before beginning the New Year with a high-profile clash with Manchester City.
“The only defence I can mount is that the referee has a good view and decides to give him a yellow card to start,” former Liverpool and Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge said at half-time on Sky Sports.
“When you see it slowed down, it looks nasty. That angle especially looks nasty. But initially the referee makes the decision to give him a yellow card and I think in doing that, it’s slightly re-reffed it and probably gone with the VAR help.
“I think if you look at it in high speed, it doesn’t seem that bad of a tackle. It’s when you see it slowed down that it looks horrible. It is a red card when you see it slowed down.”
Ex-Arsenal forward and fellow pundit Theo Walcott added: “The disappointing thing is, why is he making that tackle in that position? There’s no need.
“He’s been really hungry anyway and winning the ball. In that moment, Chelsea are on top. He doesn’t have to commit. It’s a red card, when you slow it down it looks worse.
“I agree with Daniel, the fact you’ve been given a yellow card initially kind of slowed the decision down to be maybe re-reffed.”









































