Empire of the Kop
·19 August 2026
‘Speaking to sources…’ – Conflicting Cody Gakpo reports emerge as Liverpool fans kept guessing

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsEmpire of the Kop
·19 August 2026

Liverpool fans have been kept guessing as to the future of Cody Gakpo, with conflicting reports emerging about the winger over the past 24 hours.
It’s been claimed within Dutch media that the 27-year-old would be open to joining Tottenham Hotspur amid strong interest from Roberto De Zerbi’s side, and TEAMtalk reported that Andoni Iraola could give the green light to the foward’s exit if the Reds can bring in a replacement before the transfer deadline.
Amid rumours of a potential exit for our number 18, the Anfield giants continue to be strongly linked with a potential double raid on Paris Saint-Germain for Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye, so there could yet be a significant changing of the guard in L4 over the next two weeks.
On Tuesday, Alex Crook told talkSPORT that Liverpool are unlikely to sanction a move to Spurs for Gakpo.
He stated (via Last Word on Spurs): “I don’t think it will happen. Speaking to sources at Liverpool they think he’s had a good pre-season under Iraola, they think he’s a player that Iraola can get the best out of.
“I think he probably would be open to the move, but at the moment that’s not one I expect to happen between now and deadline day.”
However, Fabrizio Romano claimed on his eponymous YouTube channel that a move to Spurs for Gakpo is certainly not dead in the water.
He said: “For Gakpo, Tottenham remain in conversations. I know in the last 24-48 hours there are rumours that the deal is not happening, but my understanding is that the negotiation for Cody Gakpo is still ongoing.
“Cody Gakpo is open to joining Tottenham, personal terms are not a problem, so the deal remains on. Cody Gakpo to Tottenham Hotspur is still absolutely on.
“Then they need to reach a financial agreement, and remember: if Gakpo is going to Tottenham, Liverpool will sign two wingers, their top target Barcola plus one more… Nothing has changed yet. There is no deal off. The conversations remain ongoing.”
Want more Empire of the Kop coverage? Add us as a preferred source on Google to your favourites list for news you can trust
Right now, it seems like anyone’s guess as to whether or not the Dutchman will swap Merseyside for north London in the next 13 days, and his fate might well be contingent on Liverpool’s pursuits of Barcola and Mbaye.
We can’t see the Anfield hierarchy sanctioning an exit for Gakpo unless they bring in the France winger from PSG first, something which is far from assured considering that it’d likely take a fee in the region of the club-record £125m that we spent on Alexander Isak last year.
If the Reds sign Barcola, that could potentially open the door for our number 18 to join Spurs, but even then FSG should be highly reluctant to let him leave for anything less than his true market value.
The 27-year-old played well below his usual standards last term but has looked rejuvenated over the summer, impressing for Netherlands at the World Cup and for Liverpool in their pre-season games against Monaco and Como, scoring and assisting against the latter.
It’s a tremendous testament to Gakpo’s strength of character that he’s performed so commendably only a few weeks after the heartbreaking loss of his unborn son in June.
We’re getting ever closer to the transfer deadline, but seemingly no closer to knowing whether or not the Dutchman will remain a Reds player two weeks from now.







































