Football League World
·17 August 2026
Taylor Harwood-Bellis exit bombshell emerges at Southampton

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsFootball League World
·17 August 2026

Southampton star Taylor Harwood-Bellis has told the club of his intentions to leave and join Benfica this summer
Southampton defender Taylor Harwood-Bellis has informed the Saints that he wishes to leave the club this summer and pursue a move to Portuguese giants Benfica amid his €35 million (£30 million) asking price.
According to Portuguese outlet Correio da Manhã, Southampton star Harwood-Bellis has told the club of his desire to leave St Mary's this summer and join Benfica, with the Saints steadfast in their €35 million (£30 million) valuation.
Benfica, now managed by former Watford, Hull City, Everton, and Fulham boss Marco Silva, have already seen an offer for the once-capped England international rejected this summer, and are expected to ramp up their pursuit this week.

Action images
Harwood-Bellis, 24, came through the ranks at Manchester City, and spent time out on loan with the likes of Blackburn Rovers, Anderlecht, Stoke City, Burnley, and Southampton before securing a permanent move to the Saints in the summer of 2024 after his £20 million obligation to buy was met following promotion.
The ball-playing defender has been a regular in the heart of defence on the South Coast ever since his arrival, but now, could be on the verge of an exit, with the two-time Champions League winners registering serious interest.
Football League World's Southampton fan pundit, Louis Harris, previously revealed that it would be a 'massive blow' to lose Harwood-Bellis this summer, as an exit could now indeed be on the cards.
A reported €20 million (£17 million) bid from Benfica for the Englishman was rejected over the weekend by Southampton, with the Saints demanding nearly double that initial sum.
Whether the Portuguese outfit will be willing to meet Southampton's valuation remains to be seen, as with a contract running until the summer of 2028, the Saints are under no immediate pressure to sell their star defender on the cheap, though with his desire to leave the club having become clear, it remains a huge blow to the club.

Action images
Harwood-Bellis made his 134th appearance for the Saints in Sunday's 2-1 defeat away to Watford, in which he was unable to convert an excellent late chance to equalise.
The 24-year-old has already amassed over 150 appearances in the Championship, 34 in the Premier League, and with one England cap in a highly-competitive back line, the defender is more than capable of making the jump to the Portuguese top flight this summer.
Harwood-Bellis has proven to be a danger in both boxes during his professional career, scoring seven and assisting twice last season alone, racking up nine direct goal contributions in 41 Championship appearances from centre-back.
His ability to play defence-splitting passes and bring the ball out from the back makes him a highly attractive prospect for numerous clubs around Europe, including Benfica, as Southampton are not willing to part ways with him lightly.
Still just 24, there is ample time for the Englishman to continue to improve and develop his game, and moving to a different country, into a different league, with the possibility of playing regular continental football will only serve him well.

Action images
Southampton supporters have taken to X to react to the ongoing situation.
This Southampton fan would happily take around £25 million to part ways with Harwood-Bellis, but only with the caveat that a replacement in that position, as well as a striker, is signed.
No hidden meaning behind this reply, with this Saints supporter believing Harwood-Bellis' desire to leave the club being terrible news.
A £30 million fee at Championship level doesn't come around every day, and with two years remaining on his current deal, Southampton are well within their right to demand that sort of money.
Echoing the previous responses, the consensus around the majority of the Southampton support seems to be that the Englishman would indeed be a loss, but for a fee of around £25m-£30m, it should be a deal worth considering.







































