Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool and Arsenal get Barcola boost, Man City identify Rodri replacement | OneFootball

Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool and Arsenal get Barcola boost, Man City identify Rodri replacement | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: The Independent

The Independent

·17 August 2026

Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool and Arsenal get Barcola boost, Man City identify Rodri replacement

Article image:Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool and Arsenal get Barcola boost, Man City identify Rodri replacement

Bradley Barcola was left out of Paris Saint-Germain’s squad for the French Super Cup in a boost to Liverpool and Arsenal’s chances of signing the France international winger. Barcola was also an unused substitute in PSG’s Super Cup win over Aston Villa on Wednesday. The European champions were set to demand £145m for the 23-year-old but Liverpool are prepared to play the long-game as they bid to negotiate a price as Andoni Iraola targets a new winger.

Elsewhere, Manchester City will sell Rodri to Barcelona in a deal worth up to £65m after finally accepting the advances of the Spanish champions. It means City will now accelerate their pursuit of Ayyoub Bouaddi, the 18-year-old Moroccan wonderkid, as they enter talks to finalise a fee with Lille for the midfielder. And City could yet go back for Enzo Fernandez, despite missing Chelsea’s deadline for offers.


OneFootball Videos


Arsenal are bidding to finalise their squad before the Premier League season, with Gabriel Martinelli and Ethan Nwaneri both left out of Sunday’s Community Shield. Both players have been linked with a move away and Martinelli turned down a move to Galatasaray on Friday. Arsenal have been keen to sign a defender following the injury to William Saliba and England defender Jarell Quansah, formerly of Liverpool, would be able to cover both centre-back and right back positions.

Man City revive interest in Pedro Neto?

Manchester City face competition from Al Hilal for Chelsea winger Pedro Neto.

That’s according to TalkSport, who report that Enzo Maresca is keen to be reunited with the Portugal international.

Neto started at wing-back for Chelsea in their final pre-season game against Real Sociedad on Saturday.

But City are set to sell Savinho to Tottenham, while Neto may struggle for minutes this season following the arrival of Morgan Rogers.

Man City set to sign Ayyoub Bouaddi after selling Rodri to Barcelona

Manchester City are now set to agree a fee for Ayyoub Bouaddi after agreeing to sell Rodri to Barcelona.

Bouaddi, the 18-year-old wonderkid who impressed at the World Cup for Morocco, had been linked with a move next year but City have stepped up their advances.

His club, Lille, confirmed talks were ongoing on Friday but it would take at least £85m to sign the teenager.

City have already undergone major changes in midfield this summer, spending £116m on Elliot Anderson, while agreeing a deal to sell Tijjani Reijnders to Al Qadisah.

Enzo Maresca was asked about Bouaddi following Manchester City’s 3-0 defeat to Arsenal in the Community Shield on Sunday and said that when it comes to new signings the “sooner the better”.

"He's still a Lille player,” Maresca said. “But any new signing, any new player, for sure as soon as they arrive it's better. Because we're going to start the Premier League in one week.

“If they start to work with us as soon as possible, it's better if they can also understand the way we need to play."

Tottenham's Guglielmo Vicario close to Juventus switch after Emi Martinez talks break down

Juventus have stepped up their interest in Guglielmo Vicario and are eager to finalise a deal quickly for the Tottenham goalkeeper.

Vicario has been in limbo all summer after he asked Spurs boss Roberto De Zerbi to leave and return to his homeland following three years in north London.

Juventus emerged as Vicario’s favoured option, but they first targeted a move for Emi Martinez and then Parma youngster Zion Suzki. However, after major developments across the weekend, the Serie A club have opened talks with Tottenham over the loan signing of Vicario.

De Zerbi gave the green light for Vicario to leave after Antonin Kinsky stepped up to guide Tottenham away from relegation with a string of fine displays in the final seven matches of last season.

Article image:Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool and Arsenal get Barcola boost, Man City identify Rodri replacement

(PA)

‘An exciting moment’: Scotland confirm Sebastien Pocognoli as Steve Clarke replacement

Sebastien Pocognoli has been confirmed as the new Scotland head coach.

The former Union Saint-Gilloise and Monaco head coach has signed an initial two-year contract to succeed Steve Clarke.

Pocognoli, a former Belgium international, led Union to the 2024-25 Belgian title in his first season as a head coach.

The 39-year-old described his appointment as an “honour” and added on the Scottish Football Association website: “When I first heard of the interest, I was immediately excited about the opportunity.

“Scotland’s supporters are famous for their passion – most recently at the World Cup in the USA – and I have experienced it myself as a player for Belgium when we played in 2013.

“Along with my coaching staff, I will do everything I can to give them a team to be proud of and build on the success that has been achieved already by my predecessor.”

Gavin McCafferty17 August 2026 08:05

Arsenal to sell Gabriel Martinelli after being left out of Community Shield?

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has said Gabriel Martinelli and Ethan Nwaneri remains “important” for the Premier League champions despite them both being left out of their squad for the Community Shield final.

Arteta explained that he was been pushing the Premier League to extend their squad limits to accommodate more players, but both Martinelli and Nwaneri have been linked with moves away. Martinelli turned down a move to Galatasaray on Friday, following a bid of around £39m.

"It's really sad not to have their availability,” Arteta said. “I've been fighting with the Premier League to extend and accommodate more players in the squad because they deserve to be in the squad, there's no question.

"Ethan [Nwaneri] and Marli [Salmon] as well, who has had the whole pre-season with us. Hopefully we can change that rule so players can enjoy on the pitch and can be an option to play and contribute to the team going forward."

Article image:Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool and Arsenal get Barcola boost, Man City identify Rodri replacement

(Getty)

Jamie Braidwood17 August 2026 07:25

Liverpool’s Barcola boost as winger left out of PSG squad

Liverpool target Bradley Barcola was left out of Paris Saint-Germain’s squad for their Super Cup defeat to Lens last night.

The winger, who was an unused substitute in PSG’s win over Aston Villa in the European Super Cup on Wednesday, has been Liverpool’s main transfer target this summer, with Arsenal also interested.

Liverpool are prepared to pay £100m for the 23-year-old, but PSG have set their asking price at £145m. Liverpool are hopeful that they can continue to negotiate with PSG before the deadline.

PSG’s Ibrahim Mbaye who is also of interest from Liverpool, with ehe Reeds exploring a deal earliest in the window, was also left out of their squad last night.

Article image:Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool and Arsenal get Barcola boost, Man City identify Rodri replacement

Bradley Barcola is the subject of interest from Liverpool (Adam Davy/PA) (PA Wire)

Jamie Braidwood17 August 2026 07:21

Juventus walk away from Emiliano Martinez deal

Multiple reports coming out this evening suggest Emiliano Martinez will not be leaving joining Juventus this summer after the Serie A club walked away from talks.

The two clubs were a long way apart on their valuation of Argentina’s No 1, and a finger injury also raised doubts around his long-term fitness.

Villa are still pressing ahead to sign Japan international Zion Suzuki from Japan, who is expected to be their first-choice goalkeeper in the Premier League this season – leaving doubt over Martinez’s future.

Article image:Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool and Arsenal get Barcola boost, Man City identify Rodri replacement

(PA)

View publisher imprint