São Paulo ethics panel to try ex-directors in Camarote scandal | OneFootball

São Paulo ethics panel to try ex-directors in Camarote scandal | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: AVANTE MEU TRICOLOR

AVANTE MEU TRICOLOR

·17 de febrero de 2026

São Paulo ethics panel to try ex-directors in Camarote scandal

Imagen del artículo:São Paulo ethics panel to try ex-directors in Camarote scandal

The Ethics Committee of São Paulo has scheduled a hearing for next Monday (23) to judge former directors Mara Casares and Douglas Schwartzmann, who were removed from their positions after being caught in a leaked audio negotiating the sale of an institutional box at Morumbi for a concert by Colombian singer Shakira, in March of last year.

The committee will decide whether the two accused, who are now also being investigated by the Civil Police and the State Public Prosecutor's Office, violated the club's internal rules in the case. If convicted, they could even be expelled from the membership.


OneFootball Videos


Mara is no longer part of São Paulo's political life. Besides her position as events director, she also resigned from her seat on the Deliberative Council. Schwartzmann, former director of the youth division, left the administrative position but remained as a counselor.

The ex-wife of former president Julio Casares is the one facing the most problems with police investigations. At the end of last month, a notebook seized at the home of Rita de Cássia Adriana Prado, one of the protagonists of the scandal, provided new insights to the authorities.

Although the content is confidential, investigators indicate that the notes would help detail the operation of the scheme and suggest that at least one São Paulo box was systematically diverted.

The operation was conducted by the 3rd Police Station for Investigation of Criminal Dismantling (Dicca) and also targeted Schwartzmann, former deputy director of the youth categories, and Mara Casares, ex-wife of former president Júlio Casares and then female, cultural, and events director.

The seized notebook would provide more elements about the mechanism that sustained the scheme, which may have lasted longer than initially supposed. “The documents collected allow us to visualize the seriousness of the facts and their extent, including the temporal scope, much longer than imagined,” said prosecutor José Reinaldo Carneiro Guimarães, emphasizing that the investigation is not yet concluded.

At Mara's residence, the police also seized R$ 28,000 in cash and a computer, as well as documents considered important for the advancement of the inquiry. In a statement, São Paulo declared that “it is a victim in this case and will contribute to the authorities in the investigation.”

Meanwhile, the newspaper ‘O Estado de S. Paulo’ found that the dealings involving Adriana and Mara at the club have been happening at least since 2023.

Currently on leave from the board, Mara is said to have worked in partnership with Adriana in brokering the sale of spaces and tickets for games and concerts at Morumbi, as well as other São Paulo events.

Mara's defense claims that she maintains unrestricted collaboration with the authorities and that the integrity of her actions will be proven.

The timeline outlined by the police and the Public Prosecutor's Office indicates that the joint action of the two was not limited to box 3A at the Shakira concert, mentioned in the audio released in December.

Sources heard by the newspaper report Adriana's presence as an intermediary as early as 2022. Adriana herself has exchanges of messages and emails with club directors and is said to have sought Casares' opponents to negotiate the material.

THE CASE

Mara was caught along with Schwartzmann in a controversy over the transfer of a space at the tricolor stadium for a concert by Colombian singer Shakira, in March. Both were caught in phone recordings made by the whistleblower, who felt wronged after claiming “to have been robbed” by a fourth party involved.

Although now on leave, Mara will continue to be investigated in the case on two fronts.

Prosecutor José Reinaldo Guimarães Carneiro, from the MP-SP's Tourism and Sports Commission, saw clear indications of crimes involving São Paulo and not just in the consumer relationship between the other parties involved.

“The first crime is private sports corruption, which is a crime provided for in the new General Sports Law, in force since 2023. This crime, in fact, presupposes the manipulation of private interests to the detriment of the club's assets, of the associations,” said Carneiro.

“And a second crime, which is also very serious, is coercion during the process. Because calling someone and intimidating them to withdraw a case under the threat that things will gain repercussions, as the recordings suggest, is an indication of a crime,” the prosecutor added.

The Public Prosecutor's suggestion is that the three involved in the audio (Douglas Schwartzmann, Mara Casares, and the whistleblower) and all those mentioned, including Marcio Carlomagno, São Paulo's general superintendent, be heard.

“All the money collected by an association, whether in a sports venue due to football or another sports activity, must revert to the club. And not for the favoring of private interests of those who should manage the club. The police will take the next steps,” he said.

This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.

Ver detalles de la publicación